No announcement yet.

How's the hops growing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a pict of the hopyard. You can see I have a weed issue,,but the hops seem to not care. Lots of golden cones to harvest now. Here comes the big harvest push!
    Attached Files

Comment

Soybeans, man!

Wildcrafter,

Living in weed-country here in the Virginia foothills, I can tell you the smartest thing we ever did was to reset our poles this year so a tractor could repeatedly drag a plow between the rows to keep the early weeds down, and then plant soybeans! They outperform the weeds and fix the nitrogen in the soil. Now that we've harvested we simply mowed down the soybeans. Soon they will be tilled into the soil. Great decision, worked prefectly, highly recommend it! Check out some of those harvest pics I posted back on page 3 of this post and you can clearly see the soybeans doing their thing.

Taylor
      Blue Mountain Brewery

Comment

Here's a pict of the Rio hops drying on the racks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBoy
          Ya gonna cow-proof 'er this year?!?
          That's gotta be one of the bigger hop disasters in memory (and what I believe to be the *true* cause of the "hop crisis"... damn cows!).
          Wisconsin's been cool and dry, though this week we'll get the temps and some moisture, so the hops will be a-hoppin' soonly.
          Grow on!
          Farmer Dave
          Damn Bovine! We secured our garden this year from the cows.......though 70 mph wind gusts took down a quarter of the hops this year! We salvaged them pretty well though.
          92 pounds of Nugget, Willamette and Mt. Hood! It all made it into our Wet Hop Ale 8 days ago. MmmMMMMmmmMMMmmmmMMmmm! Fresh Hop.
          Follow this link if you want to check out some photos of our hop pickin' brew day!

Can I get an AMEN!
          Last edited by SRB; 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Nice job SRB!!

Looks like you all had a great time,,,do more of that?

Comment

Hey guys, hope your wet hop beers are tasty!

We harvested our modest bunch outside our tasting room (10 bines) a couple weekends ago and brewed a 150l/pilot batch with some of the regulars. Hops did really well this year and we harvested about 10kg wet.

Harvest day pictures here

Year in pictures here

I used small percentages in the mash, fwh, boil and the rest filled the mash tun for 1 hop back, then filled the copper as another hop back and we are about to dry hop (through our Hopinator) with some that we froze from the day...

Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
              Chairman of the Beer
              Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
              Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
              W: www.lovibonds.com
              F: LovibondsBrewery
              T: @Lovibonds

Comment

2011's hop harvest at the SRB hop garden has come and gone! Another good one, though we didn't hit a banner year like we had hoped. No bovine and no snapped hop lines....but....the flame treated bottom approach on the lodgpole pine poles, have started to rot. So almost half the poles fell over this year. HA! With no problems, we think we could have netted over 100 pounds easy this year. Oregon Tilth organic certifiers, told us that they would have still certified our poles if we had treated them with a petroleum product, though they applauded our approach. We harvested 10 pounds less than last season but still netted 70 pounds, and in 7bbls of beer we are happy with that amount. All fresh hop no kiln dried hops.=)
                We went with all organic malt this year as well to be 100% organic.
                So... our Golden Ale, Organic Fresh Hop 121 will be on tap in a couple weeks! YES!! Love us some FRESH HOP BEER.

Comment

Working...
                X