screw pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screw pump

Anyone use a screw pump for wort transfer? I might have a line on a reasonably priced used one, but I have never seen one in a brewery before. Here is an example of what one looks like, and how it works:
    Die G.A. KIESEL GmbH ist ein weltweit tätiges, mittelständisches Unternehmen mit Stammsitz in Heilbronn am Neckar. Wir sind spezialisiert auf Exzenterschneckenpumpen und Impellerpumpen für die Industrie- und Kellereitechnik, sowie Molchsysteme.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

nice...

They are heavy and a pain to move around...but what pump isn't? They are great for wort or finished beer...had one for bottling in a place where the brites were two floors down from the bottler. Quiet, too.

nat

Comment

These are more properly called a Progressing Cavity pump. I've used them in many applications, but never beer. I imagine they would be useful in certain applications if they're specified right for the job. They are quiet and smooth. I would argue against them due to the large footprint, very large wetted surfaces to sterilize, extremely high cost of replacing stators, and being a positive displacement pump they would need pressure relief protection and some sort of flow regulation like a VFD or transmission. Besides, a simple centrifugal pump on a VFD is hard to beat for wort transfer. Even if you have to pay a bit more in this case. You'll have to replace it at some point; use a pump you can swap fast with a like model--preferrably same as used elsewhere in your plant--CIP, HLT, glycol, Kettle, filter/transfer. I guarantee that when your pump does go down, you won't want to spend the time specifying, sourcing, procuring and then redesigning piping. There's a certain satisfaction to being able to replace a pump or a motor in a half hour. And it's cheaper in the long run. Good luck and let us know how it works.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X