Very quick Hefe fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very quick Hefe fermentation?

On Sunday I brewed a Hefeweizen that came out at 13.8 plato. Monday - 24 hours later, the gravity has dropped to 3.57 plato. My FG is usually around 2.56.

Fermentation temp is 70 degrees.
    Pitching rate is around 8 million cells/ml

Should I be expecting any ill effects from this batch's quick fermentation? I don't normally see this kind of gravity drop until the 3rd day. So far, everything smells fine and seems to taste in line with what I would expect.

I may have just figured out the answer, but can somebody confirm? This is a little higher pitch rate than I normally run. I am usually around 5-6 million cells/ml.

Thanks.
    Dan

It is indeed a high pitching rate.

I'll bet it's delicious.

Pax

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I have found that if i overpitch my Hefe i get loads of sulphur that i end up having to scrub out and in-turn kills my head retention. If, on the other hand i underpitch it, i get more banana and clove. Just my experience. I usually use a higher areation rate on my Hefe brews too.

BTW i'm using WY3068
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

sure enough - got the sulphur. still tastes pretty good, but having to do a little bit of scrubbing to improve the nose.

Comment

Headspace & Hefe's

I have also noticed a correlation between the amount of headspace in the FV and sulphur production. I seem to get less sulphur and more esters when i brew smaller batches and don't max out the FV. I haven't noticed the same with any other beer/yeast- kinda an argument in favor of open FV's in there somewhere too. Anyone else observed the same thing?

Quote from a server years ago "why does the hefe smell like egg farts?"
          Last edited by Jephro; 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

I have found that when i have at least 1/3rd of the FV available as head space that sulfur levels are lowest. i was just looking back at my batch records and confirmed this observation, but had never made it before.

Comment

what are some of your techniques for "scrubbing" out the sulphur?

is it as easy as blowing down the tank to near 0 psi and refilling or when force carbonating doing a bleed and feed?

Comment

IMO the best method is do during the transfer to the BBT and just do a really violent transfer... FV up to about 15 PSI with the BBT completely purged of O2 at 0 PSI and rip it over, build pressure and repeat.

Otherwise in the BBT, as you said bleed and feed via the stone. Way easier if it's not carbed yet, otherwise your swimming in foam in the cooler- not to mention the beer loss via the foam.
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
                X