International Aromatic Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Aromatic Unit

How come there is not one? The equipment is there to do it. It changes drastically over time, so does bitterness. With the popularity of APA, IPA, DIPA, and the IIPAs there should be.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Originally posted by BrewinLou
    How come there is not one? The equipment is there to do it. It changes drastically over time, so does bitterness. With the popularity of APA, IPA, DIPA, and the IIPAs there should be.
    Go ahead and invent one. You have a gas chromagraph at BBC don't you?
    Cheers!
    David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
      Go ahead and invent one. You have a gas chromagraph at BBC don't you?
      No, but there are several friendly distillers a 20 minute drive away that do, and they like beer too. Hmmm
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
        No, but there are several friendly distillers a 20 minute drive away that do, and they like beer too. Hmmm
        Big as you guys are and you don't have one in your lab? What do you use for ibu, color, abv, etc?
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

Opb

Here's a little blog post I wrote about using Ounces Per Barrel and a ratio of OsPB to IBUs in order to describe the relative hoppiness of one beer versus another similar beer.
          It isn't perfect, but can be useful.
          Well, Pinball Blizzard has been brewed and based on tastes from the fermenter, it will be exactly what I am aiming for. An AIPA with hopping...
          Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Thats pretty cool Drews. I was thinking something like that. Maybe with a little analysis one could factor in the aroma differences between say a Simcoe and Fuggle. The shear stinkiness factor, some hops seem to have a lot more aroma then others.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I typically create a "hop bill" by defining a lbs/bbl for each flavor/aroma hop, calculating their bitterness contributions in IBUs and then adding enough bittering hops to make up the difference between my target bitterness and what's already in there. I think it would eventually be cool to use oil content(s) instead of weight per barrel, though, because it would automatically compensate for hop variety (my assumption is that oil profiles are what differentiate varieties from each other).

I started a database of common hop varieties and their typical oil levels. I believe my numbers are from a HopUnion Directory of Hop Data. Anyway, you can download it at http://sites.google.com/site/republicbrewpub/ - the file is called "Hop Compounds.xls". It's not very thorough... yet!

Joe

Comment

Oil stats

Many stat sheets for hop lots come with a total oil content (as ml/100g, I believe). Many are fractionated beyond that point as well. It seems to be that you could plug the info into a spreadsheet and correlate the data with qualitative tasting.

I designed a recipe designer to do this, but I haven't had the opportunity to either use the program or check it against sensory analysis. I'd like to know if there are any formulae that describe the utilization and destruction of the aroma oils during the boil, fermentation, aging, and packaging.

Bill

Comment

I have not found one yet. Don't forget filtration. Time seems to be the biggest offender to destroying aromas, at least per my taste buds.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X