Organic Gambrinus Honey Malt Substitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Gambrinus Honey Malt Substitution

I have been tasked with reformulating a beer. The beer is currently brewed conventionally and the corporation that owns our company wants to take it organic. This beer is one of our best sellers and has a cult following. The only specialty malt in this brew is 2.1% of honey malt. As anyone who has brewed with honey malt knows, it has a very unique taste and a little goes a long way. I have never tasted another malt that tasted similar to honey malt. Is there a blend of organic malts that I could use to get the same flavor profile? Maybe an organic C-20 and a organic Munich or aromatic malt?
    Prost!
    Squiggy

Have you told the mother company how to invest their money yet? No? Tell them to stick to what they know. I would not change the recipe of your best selling beer. But hey that is just me. How about organic honey? I have never smelled or tasted another malt that has that Gambrinus flavor.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

If Wyermann makes an organic Melanoidin malt, you could probably get away with it.

Having worked with both malts, I'd say the Weyermann is pretty damn close.

Comment

If Wyermann makes an organic Melanoidin malt, you could probably get away with it
        I use both and would have to disagree. Melanoidan is IMHO super toasty/bready and dry. Gambrinus Honey malt is mellow and sweet and very distintive. I would try some light crystal and munich like you were thinking.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
        X