No announcement yet.

Flexible duct/hose from auger to mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible duct/hose from auger to mill?

We are currently using vinyl vent hose from Ace Hardware (http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1274573) to connect our silo auger outlet to the lid on the mill. However, as umilled malted barley travels through the hose, holes are torn in the hose and it requires frequent replacement. The hose needs to be very flexible because we open the lid of the mill to add specialty grains, requiring two 90 degree turns over a few feet.

Does anyone have a source for heavier duty flexible 4" hose?

Thanks!

It sounds like you don't really have a lot of room to work with. Have you looked at going the other way? A tougher connection from the silo with another inlet for specialties, like a PVC Y fitting. If that can't work I would go old fashion and try burlap.

Roger
    Roger Greene

Comment

Our local industrial hosing supplier has flexible duct hose used for leaf collection by landscaping vacuum trucks. I'm sure a local supplier would know what I'm talking about. They still wear down, but only once a year or so.

You can also look in McMaster Carr for flexible stainless steel duct, which we use as well. It'll last forever, but isn't nearly as flexible.

Comment

Roger - interesting idea to open up the auger, but not practical for us right now. As for burlap, would you take a sheet of it and sew it into a tube?

Smuttynose - looking through a Grainger catalog I saw the duct hose you are referring to. Something like that would work, I just don't need a bulk supply of it (10 feet should last me a couple years). I haven't found a stainless duct that is flexible enough.

For material choices, should I be concerned about static charge buildup? Should I find something that is advertised as conductive to ground the charge?

Comment

We haven't had any static issue with the plastic duct. Though we only have 4 or 5 foot drop. Our local industrial hose store is able to sell by the foot and we purchase the exact length we need.

Comment

Working...
          X