Exploding Bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding Bottles

We are having a few issues with some exploding bottles and I was wondering if anyone can lend some advice? The problem is only happening in 22oz. bottles and it is kind of random. The problem is happening with our ales, which are unfiltered and not bottle conditioned, attenuation has been normal and we have not really had this particular problem before. The area where the bottles are being warehoused stays pretty warm, 85 degrees or so, this time of year.

We have been testing the bottles in the warehouse and then putting some in extreme conditions for a small period of time, to see what would happen or if the beer was under attenuating and going through a secondary fermentation in the bottle, and we have no problems when we sample them. However, like I said we have had a couple bottles explode at a retail location. We had the wholesaler bring back the couple of cases that were the problem and one popped in the back of the truck, but the rest of the bottles in the case seemed fine after tasting them. A couple of them maybe had a slightly sharper carbonation to them but most were normal. Now, it does get very hot here in the summer on the back of the wholesaler's truck, but why is this problem occurring at 100 degrees and not 85 degrees while in the warehouse?

Any advice?

Thanks

beermail me I unfortunately have some exp with exploding bottles

K

Comment

I would retest returned bottles with a Zahm to determine precise carbonation levels. Obviously pressure goes up with temperature, but 100F isn't too warm for storing bottles. Try to find out whether the carbonation level might have increased with time & storage or not. If not, it might be your glass, or perhaps your crowns weren't seated correctly. If the carbonation level HAS gone up, then do some lab work looking for wild yeast or some other bug. Best of luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

You are a commercial brewery and, apparently, you have no idea of the CO2 volumes in your product ? You need to get yourself a Zahm shaker and join the nineteenth century.

Comment

Unfortunately I have a little experience with exploding bottles too...in the end we started pasteurizing to fix the problem!

Are you priming the racking tank prior to bottling and bottle conditioning or just carbing the tank and bottling?

Also, did you have any bottles sent off for micro analysis? Siebel does it for only like $100 bucks, well worth the piece of mind.
          www.devilcraft.jp
          www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Working...
          X