Transfer pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer pump

I am looking to purchase a new or used transfer pump for moving beer after fermentation. Does any one have any suggestions on what I should look for? I am not in the market for a positive displacement pump although it would be nice. I use 1.5" hose and my largest tank is a 40 bbl and my longest transfer would be about 80'. What rpm, hp should I be interested in? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If this is strictly transfer, and not for filtration, then I recommend against positive displacement pumps. One closed valve and you've just blown up your hose. Instead, use a simple centrifugal pump with a VFD. Gentle and smooth transfers without foaming. I'd also recommend using a pump you already have. Makes spare parts easier to have on hand and can be swapped in an emergency. What other centrifugal pumps do you have? Kettle, hot liquor, etc. Also need to know head requirements--ie; what's you highest lift? And how fast do you want this done? Once we know that, we can select a pump for you.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have two c-114 pumps with Baldor motors 2 HP and 3500 RPM with 4" impellers. I also have one Dayton 2HP 3450 RPM and the impeller is a plate of some sort. My brite tanks are about 18' tall. As far as speed goes I figure I should be able to move at least 15 bbls per hour. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by schmogger
        I have two c-114 pumps with Baldor motors 2 HP and 3500 RPM with 4" impellers. I also have one Dayton 2HP 3450 RPM and the impeller is a plate of some sort. My brite tanks are about 18' tall. As far as speed goes I figure I should be able to move at least 15 bbls per hour. Thanks for your suggestions.
        So your looking for a way to rack beer in almost three hours? You could push with co2 faster than that and not risk any oxidation. The flat impeller is what most de/perlite filters use. Take Phillip's advice, add a vfd controller to one of your existing pumps.
        Last edited by HinduKush; 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

pump

If you are still looking for a pump e-bay has a couple of good ones for sale right now. Check out http://cgi.ebay.com/Tri-Clover-Model...gal-Pump-1-5HP.

Cheers,

Comment

Same Question, Smaller Scale...

I share the same initial question, but on a much smaller scale. Any suggestions on a transfer pump to move 1/2 bbl. batches less than 20' to 4.5' tall 40 gal. conicals? Would simple CO2 provide enough pressure for this?
            Thanks in advance to you Smarties!
            Lucas Rate
            The Moscow Brewing Co.
            Moscow, Idaho
            Moscow Brewing Company is Moscow's first brewery with a historic past and a passion for serving excellent, hand-crafted local beer in a variety of fun, unique, and classic styles in the community we love.

info@moscowbrewing.com
            Lucas Rate
            Brewer/Manager
            The Moscow Brewing Company
            Moscow, Idaho
            info@moscowbrewing.com
            www.moscowbrewing.com

Comment

CO2 will work fine, you just need to have more pressure on the tank your feeding from and bleed off the tank your transferring to. Say 15psi on the full tank and 12Psi on the receiver tank. The bigger the differential the faster the flow and the more foam you will get.
              Big Willey
              "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Great pump. And readily available cheap. A Cherry-Burrel C-114 pump comes in either a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 or a 2 x 1 1/2 configuration. Not a lot of difference, I will use the 2 x 1 1/2 for our example. Curves can be found here:

Your variables besides the pump frame itself are impeller size, HP, RPM. Everything to the left and below of the 2 HP curve in the direction of the arrow are possible flows for you. This is bounded on the top by the impeller size. You are at the top with 4" impeller. Your conditions were to pump 18' of head + hose resistance at 15 bbl/hour = 7.75 gallons/minute. That's not much at all. You are so far toward the origin of the graph that this pump may be too big. You could use a 1/2 HP motor with a 2.75" impeller and still have lots of room to spare. I suggest that you use a VFD and cut your impeller to 2.75". You don't have to have a smaller motor, the bigger one just won't work as hard. At tank full, you will be pumping something like 20' of head and about 40 gallons/minute. Hence the VFD and a sightglass for quiet, gentle flow. Hope this helps. Good luck!
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                X