Thread: UV lights and Beer

UV lights and Beer

Do any of you brewers have or use UV lights to prevent airborn bacteria? or Mold.
    Can I use something like this in my fermentation room?

Put UV lights about 3 feet off the ground behind the fermenter banks. It seemed to work as no mold grew.

uv lights

If you have open fermentors they are a real good idia. Not really needed with unitanks though. Standard scubbing and CIP should be good. But, then agin there is no such thing as TOO clean.
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

I wouldnt think it would be a problem, but if you do have open fermenters dont expose the beer to UV light as the alpha acids will be broken down and your product will be skunked long before its time. Perhaps a better air filter vs a UV light would better suit your needs and operating costs.

There was a post on the brewer's association forum about an intersting filter system. It was mostly used in the wine cellars to prevent bacteria. If memory serves correct it was a fan system that went through a UV light to kill bact. and circulate air. I imagine this would lend itself greatly to open fermentation!

UV lights are sometimes used in sterile filling rooms. You have a fan + hepafilter and then the air passes through a UV light. Keeps the room under +ve pressure with sterile air. I don't see why the same couldn't be used in a fermentation cellar.

Cheers,

Alex