Thread: Horizontal Serving tanks

Horizontal Serving tanks

Anyone use horizontal (Druck) tanks?

Starting brewpub in Baltics
    I have some local quotes that all include horizontal tanks with plastic inliner

I used horizontal aging tanks at Domens and they were more difficult to clean, even for a 500 L tank which has about a 2:1 length to width ratio
    the 1000L tanks I am being offered are more like 4:1.

also have been told that some use compressed air to push beer to taps, filling space between tank and inliner bag. I am pretty sure these are not oxygen barrier bags.

Why are the horizontal tanks so popular in Europe? am I missing the advantage here?
    if you stack them 3 high I can see some space savings but mostly I have seen only 2 stacked.

Gordon VanHoutan

I've seen them in use on German systems. The brewers that use them like them. Advantages are lower CO2 usage, better space utilization and easier (read: NO) cleaning. Disadvantages are the cost and disposal of bags. I'd rather use traditional single walls in a walk-in, but then again can't speak from experience with the alternative you're looking at. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

One advantage is there is less difference in head pressure, therefore more even carbonation throughout.
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Briggs
    One advantage is there is less difference in head pressure, therefore more even carbonation throughout.
    And faster due to the greater surface area.

These tanks are also glycol cooled rather than single wall.
    how would one split the trunk line to serving tanks and kegs?
    I still need a walk in for the kegs.

how about for energy efficiency
    I was told that it was much cheaper to cool a tank than a room.
    I know glycol is more efficient heat transfer medium than air, but that just means it takes longer to cool. once the room is cold wouldn't the other tanks act as a cooling buffer and help prevent temp swings.

also the lines to taps are much easier to manage if everything is in the same room.

Gordon