mice in malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mice in malt

We have tried all the traditional techniques( barriers, traps, baits) but still are having a hard time keeping mice out of our grain bags. Anyone have any ideas that they have had success with. Thanks.

Since the weather turned cool we have had an influx. So far brewer 37, mice 0. But, they are no longer going for the traditional trap with peanut butter. Must be only the smart ones left. Little furbies are climbing up on the pallet racks to get to my Munich. I too am looking for a new tactic.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Go down to the local animal shelter and get yourself a hungry cat.
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Get you some of these.

If mice get in here, you have other problems.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by I H8 UM
          Nice unit but won't hold one of Joel's bulk bags, let alone 20 of them.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

Log Rolling Mice

Ok This Is The Best Mouse Trap Ever Parts Needed 1 5 Gal. Plastic Pail,12in. 1/2 Dowel 2 Small Nails And Yes Peanut Butter Place The Dowel Across The Opening Of Pale Center Nails In Ends Of Dowel And Through Top Of Pail Making A Log Roller With The Bait In The Middle Of Dowel Add At Least 6 In,s Of Water,keep A Eye On The Pail Or You,ll End Up With A Stinky Bucket Of Mice...i Have Had 5 A Day With This System Good Luck Don

Comment

Hopefully not a cat like this one.

A brewery cat makes a lot of sense. Low maintenance.

I know local health people would not agree, but we just put the cat out whenever the health dude shows up.

Pax.

Liam
              Last edited by liammckenna; 10-28-2010, 03:16 AM.
              Liam McKenna
              www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Clean Everything!

I have seen this problem fixed or at least managed by pulling out everything in the building they can hide behind, getting it all off the floor and cleaning the hell out of everything.
                they spent 3 days removing old, unused equipment, boxes and just accumulated stuff and moving everything else away from the walls, then they basically sanitized everything, including the malt room, grain mill and even the loading dock.
                they also cleaned outside the building and got everything at least 20ft away from the walls. they placed kill traps everywhere inside the building and put bait traps outside.
                they found more than 10 in the building the day they started cleaning and over the next several days they caught another 20 or so.
                after that, they started a monthly rat check and it has apparently kept them in check.
                www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

We've had some success with rat poison in bait stations. The key is to continue to rotate a few different kinds of bait ever 6 months to year. The mice that are immune to a type of bait will end up being the ones that reproduce leaving a new generation that is immune to that type of bait. As long as you're rotating the types you'll be able to kill off a majority. Don't use all of them at once or you'll end up with a population immune to all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by brewery master
                    Ok This Is The Best Mouse Trap Ever Parts Needed 1 5 Gal. Plastic Pail,12in. 1/2 Dowel 2 Small Nails And Yes Peanut Butter Place The Dowel Across The Opening Of Pale Center Nails In Ends Of Dowel And Through Top Of Pail Making A Log Roller With The Bait In The Middle Of Dowel Add At Least 6 In,s Of Water,keep A Eye On The Pail Or You,ll End Up With A Stinky Bucket Of Mice...i Have Had 5 A Day With This System Good Luck Don

Cool.

I have also seen a pivot lid garbage pail used as a pretty effective mouse trap. Just put a little peanut butter under the edges of the lid, 1/3 full of water.

Mouse walks on to the lid following the smell of peanut butter, lid pivots, mouse drops.

Pax.
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Snakes!! probably cleaner than cats in some ways and they stay out of the way! or fill grain containers with CO2.

Comment

I have yet to see any rodents in my new position but any turn up i'll bring in my pet Ferrets to take care of the problem.... They're very fast and efficient at getting into small spaces to.. "ferret" out hiding mice.

I think I read somewhere back in the old days of Germany there was such a title as "ferretmeister" for such problems on farms and breweries and such..

Why am I posting this? Just waiting for the runoff to finish and got a little bored..

Oh theres the pump running dry so back to work!!

Comment

Originally posted by juliobrewer
                          I have yet to see any rodents in my new position but any turn up i'll bring in my pet Ferrets to take care of the problem.... They're very fast and efficient at getting into small spaces to.. "ferret" out hiding mice.

I think I read somewhere back in the old days of Germany there was such a title as "ferretmeister" for such problems on farms and breweries and such..

Why am I posting this? Just waiting for the runoff to finish and got a little bored..

Oh theres the pump running dry so back to work!!
                          ..good idea!! my ferret is still in the practicing hunting stage shes getting there though.......
                          what is this a pet forum?

Comment

Ferretsd

Originally posted by kaptn06
                            ..good idea!! my ferret is still in the practicing hunting stage shes getting there though.......
                            what is this a pet forum?
                            Dave,

Your ferrets will go after the mice but don't they attack people too ? (I think you trained them that way). I'm speaking from personal experience and I get along with animals. Don't recommend the idea really haha !
                            At least nobody will try to break into your brewery !

I could see you as a Ferretmeister if you ever get tired of brewing !

Cheers

P.S. Hope things are rolling along in Tofino !
                            Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                            Vancouver, B.C.
                            Canada

Comment

I saw this in a cartoon once, so I know it's legit. Find a cat. When the cat takes care of the mouse problem, get a dog to get rid of the cat. Then get a lion to get rid of the dog. If you have an opening large enough, you can bring in an elephant to get rid of the lion. Of course, if the elephant is stubborn (you know how elephants can be), the only way to get rid of him is with another mouse. Now you are back to square one again. You are probably better off just ordering from the ACME Co., although their crazy contraptions have been known to backfire, too.

Otherwise, seal off every nook and cranny. Buy snap traps, glue traps and peanut butter. Bait them, trap them, and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X