Air hose and regulators for IDD Squire +2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air hose and regulators for IDD Squire +2

Ok, so I'm about to run compressed air lines through the brewery and I'm currently concerned about what the Squire 2 is really going to need in terms of CFM. Now according to the manual, the unit needs 20 SCFM and recommends a 1" regulator, for both the air and CO2, as well as a smaller 1/4" regulator for the pneumatics. In addition, Jeff at IDD told me that i'd need minimum 1/2" line running to the unit.

Well I get the 1/2" main line. However, 1" regulators are ridiculous to find, very expensive(almost $200 each), and according to specs I've read, can move over 200 CFM, when we need only 20. Furthermore, if I'm running only 1/2" main line(granted it's at 100psi and the unit only needs 30psi) what would having a regulator twice as big really do for me?

For anyone who has used one of these keg washers, what would happen if the flow was lower than recommended, for either the air OR the CO2? My understanding is that with the liquid sensor, it will purge until it's empty...so what if it takes a little longer? I can deal with the cycles taking longer, I just want it to do its job, even if I can't supply it with the "recommended" flows.

Thanks,

Jud

huh?

You should be fine running something smaller, Ive never seen a washer hooked up to a regulator that big, but make sure they have good flow capabilities. Also you'll see ridiculous specs for water flow as well, like 20-30 gpm, well where I live you can't get 20 gpm to the building much less a piece of equipment.

Typical specs

• Electrical – 208/230/240 Volts, 60 Hz, 20 Amp, 3 phase
    • Water – 20 GPM supply @ 50-60 PSI
    • Air – High flow regulator, 8-15 CFM @ 40 PSI
    • CO2 – High flow regulator, 8-15 CFM @ 40 PSI
    • Cleaners – low foaming

Comment

Originally posted by South County
      You should be fine running something smaller, Ive never seen a washer hooked up to a regulator that big, but make sure they have good flow capabilities. Also you'll see ridiculous specs for water flow as well, like 20-30 gpm, well where I live you can't get 20 gpm to the building much less a piece of equipment.

Typical specs

• Electrical – 208/230/240 Volts, 60 Hz, 20 Amp, 3 phase
      • Water – 20 GPM supply @ 50-60 PSI
      • Air – High flow regulator, 8-15 CFM @ 40 PSI
      • CO2 – High flow regulator, 8-15 CFM @ 40 PSI
      • Cleaners – low foaming
      Yeah I think the water specs were 20gpm, and we get at most 8.5. Its just funny cuz Jeff at IDD acted like I was crazy to consider anything smaller and as if it wasn't a big deal to find 1" regulators. I think I found ONE online. That size is just unheard of. All I need is 15-20scfm @ 30 psi.

Comment

Squire plus 2

The one inch regulator is a standard grainger item. It wont take longer to purge, it just wont purge properly via the sensor. The machine requires 80 psi for the valves and 20-30 for the process air so you need to have 2 feeds. As for the co2 you could be looking at sanitizer left in your kegs after the cycle as co2 is what pushes it out. Ive been running one for 8 years with the recomended hook ups.
        You might be ok but in my opinion its not worth the hours of troublshooting you could be looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by alanb
          The one inch regulator is a standard grainger item. It wont take longer to purge, it just wont purge properly via the sensor. The machine requires 80 psi for the valves and 20-30 for the process air so you need to have 2 feeds. As for the co2 you could be looking at sanitizer left in your kegs after the cycle as co2 is what pushes it out. Ive been running one for 8 years with the recomended hook ups.
          You might be ok but in my opinion its not worth the hours of troublshooting you could be looking at.
          Fair enough. However, I don't understand what 1" regulator is going to do for me when inlets on the squire are 3/4". Wouldn't a 3/4" regulator be more appropriate?(And a lot cheaper)

Comment

Its been explained to me as a cfm thing more than anything, the machine uses air constantly and a lack of volume will fail cycles out. The machine runs great...typically....and dont forget the air drier and filters...

Comment

Originally posted by Judd
              Fair enough. However, I don't understand what 1" regulator is going to do for me when inlets on the squire are 3/4". Wouldn't a 3/4" regulator be more appropriate?(And a lot cheaper)

Same comment here, but I can understand that a 1" regulator will have less resistance through its body than a 3/4", Judd did you see the automated direct ones I posted, pretty affordable IMO for industrial rated units, better than Grainger.

Comment

Originally posted by South County
                Same comment here, but I can understand that a 1" regulator will have less resistance through its body than a 3/4", Judd did you see the automated direct ones I posted, pretty affordable IMO for industrial rated units, better than Grainger.
                Yes, thank you! I was on my phone's browser earlier and didn't see the prices. Those are great prices. I'm pissed I didn't find those last night when I was looking though. I think those will work well. Good website, thanks again!

Jud

Comment

Working...
                X