Lost pressure in filler bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost pressure in filler bowl

During last filling we suddenly lost the pressure in the filler bowl, which resulted in, yes, a lot of beer on the floor. I suspect that it could have been ice some where in the co2 tube/hose. If this is possible how to do not to get this problem next time. The co2 gas cylinder is connected direct to the filler.

/Bjorn Falkestrom

Assuming your gas supply cylinder was not empty, then you are possibly correct that ice has blocked it. if you are drawing large quantities of CO2 for long(ish) runs, then the expansion of the gas as it reduces pressure is accompanied by reduction in temperature.

A couple of thoughts come to mind. Is your CO2 purity guaranteed, particularly with a low moisture content ? Are you blowing your lines clear of condensate adequately before starting bottling ? Is your reducing set big enough to cope with the flows. If it is too small, this may freeze up quicker. You could try linking more than one cylinder together to form a supply, thus reducing the individual load. Or you could try using some thermal heating tape / wire, wrapped round the supply lines (NOT the cylinder) to help keep it defrosted.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

I had the same problem, I got a co2 regulator heater. I t clamps on to the pipe between the co2 bottle & regulater. It came with a 110v plug so you must be able to get one in the states.
      Another idea is to use a high voltage light inside a box that the regulater is in.
      MIKE S

Comment

Follow up

When filling the last two batches I used two co2 cylinders connected together - no problem any longer.

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X