bottle conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle conditioning

Dose anyone have any info on bottle conditioning? What is the best way to go about it? Priming sugar? Filtering and adding yeast back? Fining agents? I don't brew often enough to use fresh wort or beer at high kraeusen.

bottle conditioning

For years now, I have bottled my beer when the gravity falls to 1-2% of terminal gravity out of the primary fermenter. I lager my beer, and for most yeast strains which I've used, I've gotten very good flocculation by chilling the batch as cool as I can get it (above freezing), for ~24 hours prior to bottling. I then siphon it off the yeast to a separate bucket and bottle from there. You will have residual yeast in your bottles, so if you want crystal clear beer, this may not be a good method for you. The result I get is a naturally bottle conditioned beer without the use of priming sugars. Above 2% (brix) above terminal, and the result can be to carbonated, below 1% above terminal, the result can be undercarbonated. I brew and ferment lagers, have not tried this with ales. Good luck.
    jwonn

Comment

Working...
    X