Need help with the Legal aspect of starting a brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with the Legal aspect of starting a brewery

Can anyone help me out with what I need as far as licensing and permits for a startup in Southern California? Where should i begin? Any good contacts that might be useful? I am planning for a 20bbl micro with a taproom, no food. Emails are welcome.

Cheers,

Bretburge
    boarwalkbrewco@gmail.com

You need the federal license (www.ttb.gov), and state license (http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/permits.html). Both the TTB site and California sites have a lot of information on them as to what you need to provide for the license. It can take up to 4 months even if you have everything lined up correctly to get approved. Locally, you will want to contact the fire, health, and building departments once you have figured out your location. You might even need a city permit depending on where you are.

Good luck!

-Anda
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

I would (did) check out Hess brewery blog. Lots of info - step by step blog of their experience.
      Good Luck!

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
      Last edited by panadero; 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Candace Moon.

craftbeerattorney.com

She's located in San Diego, too, so you're in the area. She is knowledgeable, thorough, and a pretty awesome person.

Comment

also

Dont forget the almighty IRS...you'll need the (EIN# i believe) to set up your business and banking accounts, the fed paperwork, and state paperwork! There are a LOT of hoops to jump through and be prepared to not hit them in the right order or not have all the information to complete each process. It also helps to have one of your lawer buddies to help you with the fed paperwork...swap for beers? The main thing is to not loose it...stay focused...keep good records...keep your eye on the prize! You'll be pumping out the golden nectar in no time! good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by flycracker
            Dont forget the almighty IRS...you'll need the (EIN# i believe) to set up your business and banking accounts, the fed paperwork, and state paperwork! There are a LOT of hoops to jump through and be prepared to not hit them in the right order or not have all the information to complete each process. It also helps to have one of your lawer buddies to help you with the fed paperwork...swap for beers? The main thing is to not loose it...stay focused...keep good records...keep your eye on the prize! You'll be pumping out the golden nectar in no time! good luck!

You definitely don't need lawyers for your state and fed apps. I will add that EIN, LLC, State tax registration, fictitious name search, zoning, planning, are all things to do first.

Comment

Working...
            X