Thread: new fermentation process.

new fermentation process.

Some Research

It seems that this topic has been researched for some time. One research article that I have archived dates back to 2004. I'm not sure how long people have been working on this though. The article I speak of can be found here:

http://www.ufpe.br/biofisica/bp034263j.pdf

I know that much of the research has been geared towards ethanol production for energy purposes. I'm happy that our industry can benefit from a lot of research towards other fields that get significant funding.

Interesting, but; it will take plenty of research and perhaps even a good computer program for it to be applicable to craft brewing. Personally, I think the yeasties do a great job without my interference. Just make them a nice home and let them do their job.
    Scott Maurer
    Brewer, making the best beer I can
    Just Off North Jetty Road, (in my Barn)
    Florence, Oregon

I read this and thought, hmm I wonder how that would affect flavor? I doubt, since this is for fuel generation, that flavor is high on their priority list. Maybe it is still great, but who wants to buy a magnetic setup just to try and hope it works? Hehe. ( of course nobody is selling them yet anyway, as this is a new technology, but anyway)
    ~Phil

Guys, did you happen to notice the date on the original article? Could this be an elaborate April fools' joke?

I'm thinking it could be an april fools day joke as well, but not entirely certain either.

D'oh! It was posted on the 31st so April Fools was the last thing I was thinking, but yeah, that seems likely. The other thing I thought was odd was that the picture of the yeast w/o magnetism was only slightly different colored than the one using "magnets", so I thought it was pretty odd anyway. I was owned lol.
    ~Phil

Yup.
    Me. Owned.
    Fell for it until I realized it was from a website on the other side of the world and, therefore, already April 1st.

Prost!
    Dave

P.s. Gotta go demagnatize my FVs now!
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    glacierbrewing@bresnan.net

"who said what now?"

Scott Maurer
    Brewer, making the best beer I can
    Just Off North Jetty Road, (in my Barn)
    Florence, Oregon

Not for fools

As I said previously, I have seen multiple legitimate research papers on this very topic in credible scientific journals. I highly doubt it's an April Fool's joke, and if it is it has been going on for years at several universities globally. That would be an epic joke.

I think this one is a joke, as it was released on April fools, and the images of yeast with and without magnetization are identical except for color tweaks. Magnetism creates cloned yeast of a different color? Unlikely. This doesn't negate the other research, just made up some of it for a joke.
    ~Phil

Headhunter APB

This guy's gonna have some nasty skillz then... Anyone know if he's currently otherwise employed?

Name:  Magneto.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  45.5 KB