Thread: Where can I find a good mash paddle?

Where can I find a good mash paddle?

I'm in need of a decent mash paddle about five feet long. I'm currently using a stainless paddle that must weigh about 30 pounds and feels like 90 pounds after mashing in. What have other people had success with and where do you get it? Do canoe paddles really work that good?

Thanks,
    Scott

Well, I've been using a maple canoe paddle for a couple of years and I have not had any problems.

mash paddle

most restraunt supply stores carry a wooden paddle for about 15-20 dollars, if you sterilize it well it should last the cost and is very economic to replace.
    Jeff Gates

I use hard plastic canoe paddles with great success. About every year and a half I'll snap one off in the mash, but I'm able to trade beer to a local outfitter in exchange for paddles. Either way, they work well, are easy to keep clean/sterile and are light.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Beer Guy
    Crossroads Brewing
    Athens, NY

I've also used canoe paddles successfully. The wood ones sometimes tend to split where they're joined (made out of more than one piece of wood), so I tend to like the plastic ones with aluminum handles better...

Cheers, Tim