Where can I find a good mash paddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find a good mash paddle?

I'm in need of a decent mash paddle about five feet long. I'm currently using a stainless paddle that must weigh about 30 pounds and feels like 90 pounds after mashing in. What have other people had success with and where do you get it? Do canoe paddles really work that good?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Isham
    Harper's Brewpub

Well, I've been using a maple canoe paddle for a couple of years and I have not had any problems.

Comment

mash paddle

most restraunt supply stores carry a wooden paddle for about 15-20 dollars, if you sterilize it well it should last the cost and is very economic to replace.
      Jeff Gates

Comment

I use hard plastic canoe paddles with great success. About every year and a half I'll snap one off in the mash, but I'm able to trade beer to a local outfitter in exchange for paddles. Either way, they work well, are easy to keep clean/sterile and are light.
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I've also used canoe paddles successfully. The wood ones sometimes tend to split where they're joined (made out of more than one piece of wood), so I tend to like the plastic ones with aluminum handles better...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Link doesn't work.

Cheers,
            --
            Don

Comment

An oar is more practical than a paddle, I find.

Pax.

Liam
              Liam McKenna
              www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

We have a grist hydrator so it's more about spreading the mash around than heavily mixing it for us, but I made a Penny-Conscious Mash Paddle/Grain-Out Rake out of a small plastic Oxo cutting board bolted onto a garden hoe. Might have been more than $20, maybe.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island Brewing
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

My supplier of choice. Here: http://www.lahnakoski.fi/oars/

You can often find them used/available on ebay for pretty cheap.

Pax.

Liam
                  Liam McKenna
                  www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Here you can find large (~6ft) mash paddles made from a single piece of hardrock maple. The handle can be engraved with your logo also. They can also be purchased on Etsy.
                    Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.

Last edited by clodhopper; 11-20-2016, 08:53 AM. Reason: add Etsy link

Comment

Mash paddle

Originally posted by scott isham View Post
                      I'm in need of a decent mash paddle about five feet long. I'm currently using a stainless paddle that must weigh about 30 pounds and feels like 90 pounds after mashing in. What have other people had success with and where do you get it? Do canoe paddles really work that good?

Thanks,
                      Scott
                      Here you go:

This two-in-one tool is handy for both mixing and scraping, and is great for a variety of applications such as soup, confectionery, dough, sauce, winemaking and brewing.  One-piece construction and the unique long-handle design make it easy to use for many jobs.  Plastic is a lightweight alternative to metal mixing paddle scrapers, and will reduce fatigue for the user.  Made of food grade polypropylene in Denmark by Vikan.  This mixing paddle/scraper is 51.8” long and the paddle blade is 5.9” wide.  Maximum cleaning temperature is 199F, but it can be autoclaved at 249.8F.  It is Kosher and Halal compliant.

Comment

paddling in a lake is serene.

paddling in a mash tun sucks!

get a grist hydrator. you will have a more uniform mash, better control and make better beer.

Be sure to ask REI if they have a food grade varnish on their paddles?

Comment

Here's what I did with our 40lb Stainless mash paddle when we got a mush tun w/agitator:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 03 01 TG 012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	191265

It serves a much better purpose now.
                          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

These are pretty badass