Reasons for harsh beer flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for harsh beer flavor?

So here's more research on storage and harsh beer flavor.

It's all in the hop?

Researchers are reporting discovery of a scientific basis for extending the shelf life of beer so that it stays fresh and tastes good longer. For the first time, they identified the main substances that cause the bitter, harsh aftertaste of aged beer and suggest that preventing the formation of these substances could help extend its freshness. Their findings appear in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Does anybody have the full text version they could share?

Thanks!

Scientific American has a little more info on the harshness of beer.

Scientific American is the essential guide to the most awe-inspiring advances in science and technology, explaining how they change our understanding of the world and shape our lives.

Anybody have more info that they can share?

Comment

Vague...

Funny, but that article doesn't really divulge a lot of what beer(s) they are looking at. Most likely 4-5% German lagers. German Beers brewed at the hundreds of smaller breweries in Bavaria are notorius for short shelf lives.

American Craft beers usually much higher in gravity made with good malt and with some color malt will have significantly longer shelf lives.

I've got beers that I brewed in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Imperial Stouts that have held up incredibly well.

So, there are a TON of factors that can affect a beers longevity and it is somewhat style related.

Barely scratching the surface here but a starting point.

Comment

There are comments now at the of the article that basically confirm my post above. German Pils was the focus with little or no consideration of beers made elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X