Export in Germany
I would like to know if you have few tips for a rather big brewery which would like to export in Germany. I'm with many statistics found in Internet but I would like to know more about the system of distribution of beers in Germany (wholesalers ?) and the taxations to import ?
Thanks a lot.
You can contact me for info - I lived and worked in the beverage industry for almost 20 years.
Just a few words: in both the On and Off Trade, you will be expected to "pay to play" and 95% of restaurants/bars are already tied houses. Supermarkets expect listing bonuses for x number of stores to sell your wares. In addition, you will be expected to have returnable packaging, both cases & bottles, as this makes up 80% of the off premise market. The remaining 20% is cans & PET which is under huge price competition amongst the hard discounters.
If you are selling a non-German beer, it's also going to be very hard to convince both wholesaler and consumer that your beer is superior to their Reinheitsgebot brewed beers.
Tough nut to crack in all aspects, send me a message if you have questions.