Thread: mold resistant paints

mold resistant paints

So the walls of our new brewery are cinder-block type material, very porous, and they are older so there are some chips and whatnot in them. I'd like to paint over them with some mold resistant paint and prep them with something that won't allow moisture into those porous holes. Does anyone have a preferred brand of mold resistant paints or tips in general? We used to paint the walls with KILZ every 6 months or so at a brewery I used to work for so I know that stuff works to some degree. Thanks.

Seal the cinder blocks with a spray on epoxy paint, and if you really want to make life easier, cover the 8 - 10 feet from floor with properly sealed FRP wall boards.

Then, spend money on ventilation. A properly engineered air exchange system will help you keep the walls dry and therefore make it easier to cut down on the mold.

We used a product called SaniTred Permaflex. It dries to a semi-flexible, durable, washable surface. We used their other product, LRB for the wall to floor transitions. Could not be happier!

http://www.sanitred.com/permaqualities.htm

Is there something that can be used on brick walls that is clear? I love the look of the brick and don't want to paint on them...

Rob Roy is the guy you want to talk to if he's still on the forum. He is in the coatings business and is familiar with brewery requirements. I am a coatings inspector but my thing is coating systems for steel.

Having said that, a good epoxy that is designed for concrete, under a topcoat of a moisture cure polyurethane that is approved for food plants, should work very well. Once the poly has set up mold will have a very hard time getting a foothold, and you can scrub and disinfect it very vigorously. Do make sure the paints are ok with the FDA/USDA though.

Thanks Jerry. I did look up Rob, but came to a dead end...

If anyone can recommend an expert please do!
    Last edited by fastricky; 08-10-2011 at 05:21 PM.