Recipe scale-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe scale-up

I assume that many of you probrewers have at some stage or other scaled up tasty-sounding homebrew recipes for your commercial-quantity breweries. For example, from 5 Gallons up to 10bbl.

Is this pretty straightforward, and what are the major pitfalls one should watch out for when trying to do this?

Thanks.

Two main ones: degree of extract, and hop utilization. I generally get somewhat more fermentable extract from a good professional mash tun than from a picnic cooler mash tun. I also often get better hop utilization (more bittering).

Having said that, I'd note that, if I'm being patient and careful with the five-gallon batch, the differences aren't dramatic...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Have been brewing for about a year now and would like to kick up the ABV, what is the best choice, corn sugar or dry malt extract? Thanks for any help.

Comment

....also watch out for color malt utilization change...you need less color malt to make an impact on a commercial scale batch. in a place you might use 5% black malt you will be using more like 1%-2% to get where you want to be. same with crystals and high dried
        (less with high dried)
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
        X