Thread: Nitrogen effect

Nitrogen effect

I'll be brewing an irish stout for the first time. Any hints on how to "nitrogenate" the beer ? I know nitrogen doesn't dissolve as Co2 in liquids. (I have a BBT that can handle 2 kg/cm3 pressure and a carbonating stone)
    Thanks,
    Ignacio

Ignacio

It has been my experience that if you carbonate (with CO2) to about 1.2 volumes and then "finish" the beer with nitrogen, you can get the desired effect. When I would do this I would have the nitrogen bubblilng into a closed tank (tank pressure around 20psi, check your tanks rating!) for several days. It did take a lot longer than CO2 due to the resistance to dissolve into the liquid. I'm sure if you did a search here with keyword "nitrogen" you'd find several threads.

Luck to ya'
    Dave

There is a previous thread on nitrogenating beer at: http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...light=nitrogen

Also, there is an article by John Harris (of Full Sail Brewing) published in The New Brewer (November/December 1997 issue) titled: "Practical Nitrogenation of Beer for Mixed Gas Dispense" which contains some useful information.

Best,
    Andrew

Nitrogenating Stout

Ignacio,
    I offer a unit that introduces N2 into the beer as it is being dispensed. The Cellarstream works great if you just brew a stout or any other beer for that matter with about 2 volumes of co2. The Cellarstream infuses the nitrogen as each pint is pulled.
    If you want to check out more info I suggest www.acbeverage.com
    Good foam for now...
    Allen