Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best usage of fruit peel in kettle or W/P?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best usage of fruit peel in kettle or W/P?

Hi there,

Just wondering what every ones preference is on on where add dried peels is during the brew. I'll be making a wheat beer this summer and being I have elements in my kettle and a separate Whirlpool I was wondering whether Brewers have found better flavour and extraction from the last ten minutes in the boil or whirl pooling the peels for 15 minutes and 15 minutes rest.

Any info would be helpful,

Cheers,

Dave Woodward

Tofino Brewing Co.

I put my peels in a closed hopback. I'd favor later in the boil to prevent volitilization of aromatics.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I put mine in a hop bag for the last 5 min of the boil and let them rest in the kettle for the whirlpool and KO. For me, it adds a nice orange character that comes through in the nose of the finished beer.
      __
      Kushal Hall
      Common Space Brewery
      Hawthorne, CA

Comment

Ditto

We do the same as Kushal, but we also constantly and carefully submerge the bag with our brewing paddle during the last 5 minutes. The agitation seems to help us with aromatic extraction. Just be careful not to poke a hole in the bag! It happened to us...

Comment

last 5 minutes

i add mine in the last 5 minutes of boil and leave them in there through whirlpool and knockout. with two different vessels that might be difficult for you since it is not advisable to throw them in without a bag around them.

Comment

Working...
          X