Thread: Muriatic Acid

Muriatic Acid

So about a year ago I inherited a startup brewery that was constructed but not yet operational and the brewer who was briefly here before me seems to have had a penchant for purchasing lots of strong chemicals that I've never really seen in use in a brewery before. Long story short, I have a gallon of 30% muriatic acid (HCL) that's been sitting in the corner of a storage room for the last year. Everything I've read on this forum seems to indicate that not only is it extremely nasty stuff and dangerous around stainless.

My question is, Is there any purpose or use for muriatic acid in the brewery? Or should I just try and find someone to give it away to?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Beer Guy
    Crossroads Brewing
    Athens, NY

Muriatic Acid

Etching concrete

Cleaning excess thin set mortar or cured grout off of ceramic tile surfaces.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

we used it etch concrete prior to sealing the brewhouse floor.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    glacierbrewing@bresnan.net

"who said what now?"

If it is a food-grade acid, then it certainly is useful for brewing water adjustment. It is used when the pH and alkalinity needs to be reduced and you also want to add chloride ion to the brewing water. The same thing can be said for sulfuric acid. It add sulfate ion.

If the acid is not food-grade, don't put it in your water. There can be all kinds of heavy metal contaminants in it.

I see that Bru'n Water software has a good water acidification calculator that includes hydrochloric acid as an input.
    WaterEng
    Engineering Consultant

Muriatic acid is used in urinals, too. It helps to loosen calcium deposits that settle in pipes from urine.

He probably had it around for etching the concrete for a flooring job, though. Nasty shit, be very careful with it, and don't put it in the beer for anything.

We don't have concrete floors so I'm not really sure what the intended purpose was. But it's not food grade so I'll probably just see if I can give it away to a cement contractor or something.

Thanks for the info everybody!
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Beer Guy
    Crossroads Brewing
    Athens, NY

PS: Keep muriatic acid (hydrochloric) away from your stainless steel too. The high chlorides will cause the stainless to rust. High chlorides are the bain to stainless steel.
    WaterEng
    Engineering Consultant

Maybe you can sell it to the local Y if they have a pool. 15 years ago I know it was one of the chemicals I used at a pool to adjust water Ph.

Hey,

In my previous trade (Stone masonry) we would use Muriatic Acid for cleaning finished stone and brickwork. Quite effective for loosening extra cement and making for the fireplaces shine!

Find a good Mason or brickie and see if they like beer (They all like beer!) and give them a growler to take it off your hands.

Or maybe negotiate building a BBQ for more beer...?

Dave