Muriatic Acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muriatic Acid

So about a year ago I inherited a startup brewery that was constructed but not yet operational and the brewer who was briefly here before me seems to have had a penchant for purchasing lots of strong chemicals that I've never really seen in use in a brewery before. Long story short, I have a gallon of 30% muriatic acid (HCL) that's been sitting in the corner of a storage room for the last year. Everything I've read on this forum seems to indicate that not only is it extremely nasty stuff and dangerous around stainless.

My question is, Is there any purpose or use for muriatic acid in the brewery? Or should I just try and find someone to give it away to?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Muriatic Acid

Etching concrete

Comment

Cleaning excess thin set mortar or cured grout off of ceramic tile surfaces.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

we used it etch concrete prior to sealing the brewhouse floor.

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Muriatic acid is used in urinals, too. It helps to loosen calcium deposits that settle in pipes from urine.

He probably had it around for etching the concrete for a flooring job, though. Nasty shit, be very careful with it, and don't put it in the beer for anything.

Comment

We don't have concrete floors so I'm not really sure what the intended purpose was. But it's not food grade so I'll probably just see if I can give it away to a cement contractor or something.

Thanks for the info everybody!
            Hutch Kugeman
            Head Brewer
            Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Maybe you can sell it to the local Y if they have a pool. 15 years ago I know it was one of the chemicals I used at a pool to adjust water Ph.

Comment

Hey,

In my previous trade (Stone masonry) we would use Muriatic Acid for cleaning finished stone and brickwork. Quite effective for loosening extra cement and making for the fireplaces shine!

Find a good Mason or brickie and see if they like beer (They all like beer!) and give them a growler to take it off your hands.

Or maybe negotiate building a BBQ for more beer...?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X