Thread: Rule of thumb for # of Kegs

Rule of thumb for # of Kegs

I am working on a business plan for a production brewery and am interested if anyone has some good advice for number of kegs to total bbl ratio? I have read 3 per account but wondered if anyone had any additional advice. I am projecting a few thousand bbls for year one ramping to around 8000bbl in a few years.

thanks for your help. great resource.

Just to clarify: Are you asking that for let's say a 1,000bbl a year microbrewery, how many of half-barrel empty kegs do you need to own?

I don't have a good practical guide for you, but 3-4 per account seems to be an agreed to number, maybe closer to 3 if you self distribute. 4 if you don't. Be sure to look at keg leasing too - less upfront capital, but eats into your margins.

Good luck.
    S

Yep, that is exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the info. I had been using 3 but might actually go to 3.5 in the plan to be safe.

Have looked at Microstar but agree that they eat into the bottom line. Interesting service though.

Thanks again for the info.

If using wholesalers, plan on 10% loss each year. Self-distribution is closer to 5% if you are vigilant.