Threaded Keg Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Keg Question

I was just wondering if there are any concerns for kegs with threaded stems and no safety catch? We have a few here at the brewery and have read that they are pretty common in the industry. I'm just looking to see if there are any tips or suggestions in dealing with them. We mostly deal with drop in stems with safety rings, so this is new to us here. We are also distributing a small portion of our kegs and am a bit leery to put these in circulation w/o knowing. Hopefully someone can shine some light on this for us. Thanks

The kegs we have from PKA (the plastic ones) are like that. We haven't had any problems with them - a bartender would have to really TRY to get one loose enough to come out. We have a tightening tool and check them during keg washing. If you need one, PKA has them, 80 bucks if I recall correctly.

Comment

I appreciate the heads up and info. We do need that tool, so I will check them out. Your threaded kegs ,I'm assuming, do not have the safety catch as well. It just troubles me to think that there's a possibility that some one could somehow accidentally loosen the keg and injure themselves. I wonder if using these threaded stems obligates us to fore warn the info on the kegs?

Comment

Ours actually have the warning stamped into them, not that a bar jockey is likely to read it. As I said though, removing it would take someone deliberately trying to pull it out (with a sankey attached and turning it about 8 times). If you check them every time they come back, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Your concern definitely has merit, but we have a bunch of them and haven't had any trouble. If it helps you sleep, it wouldn't hurt to have a few warning stickers made up and slap them on.
        Last edited by Jmac; 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks again

Again, I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely figure out a way to sticker the safety precaution to the keg.

Comment

Working...
          X