Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grist case cleaning

Hello,
    I'm about to put a grist case back into service after about a year or so of sitting idle and unfortunately very dirty. It's also seen some welding work, so I've got some of the black powdery residue to wire-brush away as well.

I'll be hand cleaning it inside and out with a stainless cleanser, water and green scrubbie, but was wondering if there is more I should be doing.

And then once I'm up and running, is there a commonly agreed to regular cleaning regime for the grist case and other dry-side equipment, aside from a frequent once-over with the shop vac.

Thanks,
    Scott

Sounds like you've got your bases covered! As long as the case is visibly clean, and smells nice, I think it will perform just fine. As for routine maintenance, much depends on your particular application. Whether it is corrugated, the angle of discharge, frequency of use, local climate, etc. Just check it every so often and base your schedule accordingly. Remember that a grist case is a confined space, so at a bare minimum, make sure it is adequately ventilated and have a buddy nearby and checking on you frequently. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yes, it was the smell (can you say "mouse crap"?) that it brought with it from its former home that drove me to the vigorous cleaning exercise.

No confined space on this one - Not really a silo at all. It's small and box-shaped with removable lids, small enough for me to flip over onto it's side by myself for cleaning.

Sounds like I'm probably in good shape.
      Thanks,
      S

Comment

PROPER S.O.P.

What is the proper routine for cleaning a grist case and frequency? Curious minds want to know? Would assume that moisture up the auger line would not be cool. Jump in with shopvac? Hard dry dusting with stiff brush?

(Conical stainless grist case with manway, auger in from the top, sealed)

Thanks

Comment

I think it is totally dependent on the situation and conditions. An inspection every 6 months is probrably a good starting point for frequency. And cleaning depends on the nature of the deposits. Do what cleaning is necessary to be able to eat from the surfaces. That's always my standard! Malt husks are pretty abrasive stuff, so I'd be surprised if much cleaning is necessary. Moisture up the auger line from the mash tun is another question. My current setup requires frequent cleaning. I pull the screw and hand clean the half meter or so that accumulates a rind. Beware of installing the screw! They require a degree of pretension and have a tendancy to slice fingers off if you aren't careful. Good luck!
          Last edited by gitchegumee; 09-15-2004, 12:57 AM.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Back at my first brewing job several years ago, we had a 30' long auger that went from our mill room to the mash tun, and due to moisture from the mash we did get a buildup of crud on the auger. We would occasionally run a hundred pounds of field corn kernels through the auger, which polished it up quite nicely!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Field corn kernals - interesting choice.

When I worked in a salad dressing plant with dry blend conveying systems (augers or blowers), we would run a few hundred pounds of salt through to clear it out. (Long runs.) It had just the right amount of abrasive, yet if left behind in small quantities, it didn't effect the product since there was a good % of salt in it already.

I'm not advocating salt in a brewery though, but I think corn is an excellent choice for all the same reasons.

So, where do you get it? From your malt supplier?
              S

Comment

Working...
              X