Keg Filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reviving an old thread..

for those of you using the GW kent filler, I have a question.

once it gets foam in the FOB device and shuts off the flow, how best do you reset it for the next keg. i spray sanitized back into it which works sometimes, but is a pain. sometimes i have to completely unscrew it and dunk in sanitized to get the foam out so the FOB will work again.

any tips for doing this? unscrewing it everytime is a pain and i'm guessing I will wear out the threads prematurely...

thanks
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Sanitized Paper clip. The smaller ones... Silly, but it works...

Comment

With the coupler off the keg and in the locked in position, one super quick blast of canned air does the trick!

Also, I have found that a separate blow off tube is helpful, for a few reasons; confirm full fill, and also when I recouple for the next fill I drain off pressure in keg, with my finger over the foam pin hole to keep the ball from creeping back up.

=)
        Last edited by SRB; 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

i tried the paperclip, and that helped. still not perfect but better.

i tried blasting co2 back into it but that didn't work too well. i need a better attachment so it focuses the blast better me thinks...

thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!
          Scott LaFollette
          Fifty West Brewing Company
          Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by yap
            i tried blasting co2 back into it but that didn't work too well. i need a better attachment so it focuses the blast better me thinks...

The little red plastic tube on the can air focuses it wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB View Post
              With the coupler off the keg and in the locked in position, one super quick blast of canned air does the trick!
              =)
              I know this thread is a bit stale, but I find a combination of the suggested tricks above works best. Once I remove the coupler, I push the handle back to the locked position (like SRB said), then I open the "overflow" valve (the one without the clear pressure valve) and proceed to use my spray bottle of saniclean. I find that, with the nozzle on "stream," a few squirts in the pressure valve followed by a few into the opened overflow releases a good chunk of foam and sets things right...most of the time.

If you're still fighting that little creeping ball (SRB, I must think alot like you) holding your finger over the pinhole can ease that pressure back down without having to de-couple again.

That's just what I've gathered from beating my head against the brite.
              -Matt Geary
              PUBLIC Brewing Co
              Kenosha, WI

Things about me you didn't know? Well, English is my second language. Growing up in my house, we spoke Sarcasm. Fluently.

Comment

plastic fermenters

How are those plastic fermenters working out for you? We're looking at a 3 barrel system and are on a budget

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you suck the beer out of the FV (airtight sealed vessel) with a pump aren't you creating negative pressure and risk imploding the walls of your jacketed fermenters?! Just push it with CO2.

Comment

Working...
                  X