removing shrink wrap from equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing shrink wrap from equipment

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing shrink wrap from equipment? I just got a brewhouse that was shrink wrapped and left in storage for a couple years. The shrink wrap is really stuck on and does not want to come off. What can I use to remove it?

Doug

Heat gun.

Comment

shrink wrap

Nope. Heat gun worked about the way a rusty knife works on frozen butter. What else?

Comment

Is this shrink wrap the kind normally used to package pallets? Did it just get old and stick or is there some adhesive involved?
        Or is this the kind of stuff that people wrap their boats in for the winter, you know that white wrapping?

I have used some citrus based degreasers in the past that would melt any glue or tape like residue left behind, but that may not help.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Oxy/Ac torch? Kidding... As was mentioned, maybe a heavy-duty citrus-based solvent may work. I've used WD-40 to degoo stuff in the past (but that wasn't a tank-size job - much smaller area). Maybe some sort of acid wash? You're gonna have to degrease the tanks anyway. Of course, you have to make sure you know what you're doing (not mixing chems, etc.), 'cause I'm not a rocket-scientist (but I do play one on TV...).

Comment

shrink wrap

What would be an example of a citrus based cleaner? I should mention that the surface is stainless and it's just regular shrink wrap but this system was in storage for a few years with the shrink wrap on it.

Comment

I had exact same problem on weathered stainless. Citrus stuff was only thing that worked. Any cleaner that smells like orange or citrus...check grocery store cleaner aisle.

Comment

You might try zip strip...either the heavy duty solvent version and/or the the citris based one they sell now (doesnt work as well)

Good luck

JackK

Comment

Working...
                X