Co2 damaging radiator fins in cold room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co2 damaging radiator fins in cold room

Anybody have a solution to this problem? I was told that the Co2 may be condensing and forming an acid on the exchange fins in my cold room. I was wondering if there was something I could spray on the fins to keep this from happening.
    Keith Yager
    Head Brewer/Owner
    Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
    www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

I seriously doubt that. CO2 is a carbon bond, and unless there is something to break that bond to form carbonic acid; simple condensation isn't going to happen at 32 degrees.

And if you think about it, CO2 would not disolve in water at atmospheric pressure.

I would suggest looking for electrolisis.

Comment

Keith, are you storing anything other than beer in the walkin? it seems that the most common occurences are in high acid environments like produce/deli products.

Have you cleaned the walkin evaporator coils with an acid based solution or just rinsed with water?

I was just told to rinse the coils off once every 3 to 6 months with just water.
      either way, I dont think c-02 is causing it, most of the refrigeration guys I have talked with say that "beer only" walkins ususally last the longest and have the least pitting. good luck with it and let me know what you find out.
      www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

I won't say "only" beer, I've been known to store a ham sandwich or two in there, but - yeah. Mostly beer, I have never cleaned the coils. I'll try cleaning them with some water. Thanks.
        Keith Yager
        Head Brewer/Owner
        Yellowhammer Brewing Co.

Comment

If your cold room is so full of CO2 that you can't breathe, I could believe it. I had two 20 bbl fermenters in a well-sealed shipping container, and the intense CO2 seemed to cause damage to the circuitry in the thermostats.

Comment

I'm with Moonllight in that your cold room would have to have a high CO2 level to produce Carbonic Acids on the coils of the evaporator. It is a weak acid and slow acting over time. I would increase the cleaning routine and use only water.

Comment

I installed new commercial S/S restaurant equipment in a kitchen. Turned it all on. Came back later and found that all the wet/damp spots in areas with seals and areas near the floor level were fully rusted. The tile installer had used quite a bit of muriatic acid to clean the freshly installed tile floor. The vapors condensed and ruined the equipment. The owner and GC rushed the equipment install ahead of the a complete floor. They learned that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
                If your cold room is so full of CO2 that you can't breathe, I could believe it. I had two 20 bbl fermenters in a well-sealed shipping container, and the intense CO2 seemed to cause damage to the circuitry in the thermostats.

Must be it, we had filled the cold room 2Xs with dry ice, once from week long power outage due to April Tornadoes in South East and once when compressor died. Also leaked a 100lb tank of Co2 more than once due to leaky seals.
                Keith Yager
                Head Brewer/Owner
                Yellowhammer Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
                X