Thread: Boilers Are Expensive.

Boilers Are Expensive.

They are. Terribly expensive. And I'm afraid to undersize so of course I feel like I'm paying more than I probably need to to get a monster.

Just venting.

Cheers.

Andrew

What did you get?
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

I ended up getting a light commercial/heavy residential cast iron Burnham for less than 7K. It's only about 10 HP, but works well for my 10bbl system - with a nice oversized header (that's the ticket I'm told). Oh yeah, and it came unassembled on 4 pallets, but a steam guy I know and me put it together, along with fabricating the header in about 3 1/2 days.

Installation of the pipe and valves on the otherhand was VERY expensive (around 24K). Then there was the engineering/plans as required by State law - another 3K.

I hear ya!
    Page Buchanan
    House of Brews
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by HOBWI
    Installation of the pipe and valves on the otherhand was VERY expensive (around 24K). Then there was the engineering/plans as required by State law - another 3K.

I hear ya!
    How much of that 24K installation was parts, and how much labor and how much was bad luck? This number scares me quite a bit, but I want to be putting a realistic estimate of costs together so any info would be great. Was anything in that 24K non-typical?

For the steam header, return piping for condensate, welding the whole thing together, insulating, etc., it will approach or exceed 20k in many circumstances.