Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filtering Wort

Thanks for the input.

Yes we are on the south side of the line, so whirlpool is spinning the same way as the sink drains

Have been whirlpooling for 15 and settling for 15.
    But will try a faster spin with some extra paddle power, and a longer rest.
    With a pipe extention on the whirlpool outlet. Hopefully that will make a difference......
    Will see what happens tomorrow!

Thanks again
    Taps

With the heating elements in there you will get huge disturbance on the recirculation, and poor whirlpool effect. Why don't you simply try putting in an upstand and allow it to settle. Obviously you will have to determine the upstand length by trial and error. Instead of even attempting to whirlpool, simply add the kettle finings, mix in briefly, and then allow to stand for say 20 to 30 minutes. The upstand will have to made so it can be pulled out with a hook, so a wire loop across the top will be fine. You shouldn't have to worry about a filter then
    dick

Coriolis force will not affect the brew kettle. The size and amount of time (two major factors with Coriolis) are several magnitudes too small. Coriolis will only affect large storms systems (hundreds of miles wide) that last for at least a day. In fact, it can take a few days for a hurricane to develop low level circulation due to the Coriolis Effect.

Trust me on this...I was a meteorologist for over thirteen years.

Here's a link for a more detailed explanation:

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html
    Last edited by Justus4All; 09-18-2011 at 11:22 PM.

And if you've been to AB facility in St. Louis, you will see that their whirlpool tanks have their inlets at all sorts of heights and even "backwards" from the clockwise rotation that coriolis would suggest. They've tried many configurations with little improvement in results. Agree with Justus4all, coriolis is not a factor. Some other factors include those important to Stoke's Law: viscosity and difference in specific gravity between the wort and the trub. I've had problems with worts using oats before. Might be viscosity? A slight dish or slight cone on the bottom would also help place trub correctly.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

Strainer

Taps,
    How did the strainer work out for you? I have been looking for one to reduce the load on a filter after dry hopping, and haven't found a good answer yet, so I am all ears.

Thanks!

As Dick says, the intrusion of the heating elements will cause a massive disturbance in the whirlpool effectiveness and may well contribute to breaking up the flocs.

From your photo the vessel looks flat bottomed? Ours all had cones, although quite shallow, to promote concentration of solid material

At a later stage we also added a small cylindrical 'sump' in the centre of the cone to further reduce break-up/improve volume of bright wort.

Have you carried out any finings trials recently to ensure you are getting good compaction?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12