Tap Room seating - German Beer hall vs. Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap Room seating - German Beer hall vs. Traditional

So I would like feedback on anyone who has experience with the public's reaction to German Beer Hall seating, that is series of long communal bench seats. We can go that rout in our tasting room or a more traditional mix of high tops, booths and tables. You don't see many places that use the long communal bench seat... Now that would make us unique but is the reason you don't see it because Americans just don't like it? We are located in a collage town and want both the visitors who come once as well as locals who come again and again. It will not quite be a restuarant but will have limited food 4-5 food items (German soft pretzels, pulled pork, roasted chicken, meat and cheese trays). Talking of seating for 80-100.
    Jacob Simmons
    Backpocket Brewing
    www.backpocketbrewing.com

We Americans generally don't seem to care for communal tables when it comes to restaurants from my experience. A bar/beer hall/brewery taproom on the other hand is a different beast. From the sounds of things your customers will be coming to your establishment to drink your beer and have a good time, while along the way having a bite if hunger strikes. I've seen places work this angle and do well with it so long as they are not positioning themselves as a restaurant and they usually benefit from a solid number of options for dining around them as it brings traffic to their brewery and gives them good pre/post dining business.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Good thought... One more piece of info. Our core beers are german inspired. That is a Dunkel, Helles, and Hefeweizen. So if we don't scare people off the german is very appropriate. Just need to make sure we aren't forcing them into seating they don't like.
      Jacob Simmons
      Backpocket Brewing
      www.backpocketbrewing.com

Comment

I have spent the last 4 years in Munich, Bayern and the americans the were there loved it. if your are going to do it German style then i don't see the public hating it, if your are doing american style beers i can see the public having a problem. Just give it a try with half of your beer hall. i would also include a stammtisch for your regulars.

Comment

Working...
        X