Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO4 multiplication

OK, a questions for those of you using Fermentis SO4

What sort of yeast multiplication do you get from SO4? If say you pitch 300 g dried yeast - how much sludge do you get on the bottom of your fermenter, in terms of volume of dense sludge ?

Anything you have found affects the mass / volume of sediment ?

I am just puzzled by the amount produced by one brewery I have worked at, compared to others

Thanks
    dick

I also meant to ask what the fermentaion conditions are that you use - collection and top heat temperatures, as this appears to make a huge difference

Thanks
    dick

Comment

Dick,

We usually pitch 500 g into 10 hL wort oxygenated wort.

We usually end up with about 6 x 15L pails of dense crop from the bottom of the cone after chilling/prior to transfer.

I find oxygenation affects cropping with future generations but not with the initial dry pitch.

Also zinc. Hugely.

Our water here is virtually free of zinc. If we don't add it, attenuation, flocculation, growth and cropping is disastrous.

One of our beers is fermented at about 67-68 oF. The others range from 70-74 oF. I would say that the only noticeable difference is with the cool ferment. It does not crop as heavily.

We crop all of our beers from the cone after cooling to 34oF.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thanks

This is in the same ball park as one of the breweries. I can't remember the vessel dimensions so will have to wait until tomorrow to check. The other produces far less. Have you had you beers analysed for alcohol ? What ratio do you get between ABV OG & PG ? Thanks again
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X