What are these No Boil Breweries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these No Boil Breweries?

This is a bit of a random question, but has anybody ever been to a brewery where there are only brite tanks and that's all they claim to use? I do a lot of traveling and just recently I went to a brewery and it's the second one I've been to that has no brewhouse and no fermenters. When I ask how they make the beer, they basically say they create their own recipes, then a guy makes some sort of extract that they mix with water, ferment, and serve all from the same tank which looks like a brite tank. The beers at the 2 places I went to weren't good at all (lacked any sort of beer flavor) but I wanted to see if anybody else has ever heard of this and how does it work? I can't imagine the beer would ever turn out that well using this method and all that comes to mind is a gigantic Mr. Beer kit.

Cheers,
    Kaskaskia Brewing Company

this response is in no way an endorsement

http://addabrewpub.com/

Jared,
    I'd bet you encountered this or a knockoff of it. These tanks are used to heat wort(pre-hopped extract and water) to a sterilizing temp, cool it down so you can pitch yeast, ferment,condition and serve all out of one tank.

There was one back in the Boston area where I used to live in a bowling alley. The sad thing was for the money they spent on this set up the could have installed an actual brewing system (mash tun,kettle,fermenters,serving tanks) but they opted with the " And Most Important-NO BREWMASTER..Just real profits for your brewpub". The beers were very much of a Mr. Beer Kit quality. The great thing is the brewed 3 beers but offered 5-6 on their menu by blending a pilsner and stout and calling it a amber or brown ale ect.

They could have saved themselves a lot of money and would have been better off just installing a nice draft system and had 12-20 craft beers on tap. It would be a better money maker in the long run.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

It is my experience that people install these to get a full alcohol license.

Comment

Thanks for the info

That's website pretty much explains it all. I tried all of their beers ranging from a Pilsner to a Stout and they all basically tasted the same so I got a bit suspicious. Then I had the IPA and it tasted the same as the Pilsner and I knew I had been duped again. The funny thing was that they only had 3 tanks yet claimed to have 5 beers on tap. I'm guessing that the blending method of using a Pilsner and a Stout to create a Boc (yes it was spelled B O C), is one method to create craft beers. Thanks for the link for that site. Although I feel a bit shafted, going to a place like that really makes you appreciate a real brewery that much more and we got some good entertainment value out of the whole ordeal. I would never talk bad about another brewery but these places don't exactly fit into my description of a true brewery.

Cheers,

Comment

"I would never talk badly about another brewery..."

And that's where you're wrong. I've seen first hand how people get duped into thinking "this is what craft beer is all about..." And they don't like it!

So, we all get painted with the same brush until someone comes along who confirms their suspicions and their taste buds and screams from the rooftops "this is not what real craft beer tastes like and here's five reasons why."

Tell the truth, everyone will respect you a lot more for it. Back it up with great beer yourself and you're golden.

Comment

Note the taps directly on the tanks, so no beer lines!

Jebus... I think there is one of those in Cortez, Co.

Comment

Hey Rudge,

What I meant to say is that I would never call out another brewery publicly for their bad beer. I've definitely been to a few breweries where their beer was below par for my taste and if people ask me what I thought of those breweries, I tell them I didn't think it was that great but I always give those places a 2nd or 3rd chance to make good beer. In my opinion, those non-brew places aren't real breweries so I have no problem talking bad about them and once I go to one, it's the last time I'll go to it. I think my comment came across wrong so I just wanted to clarify that.

This whole "add a brewery" concept is a bit of a joke to me. Their website does say that "they won 1st place 5 years in a row-a record unmatched by anyone in the industry". My question is what competitions were they putting their beers into???

Cheers,

Comment

I love this:

"In 1971, Leigh P. Beadle founded Specialty Products International. Earlier that same year, he wrote the best selling book, Brew-It-Yourself, which started the home brewing revolution in this country and led in turn to the brewpub and micro-brewing revolution in the mid-eighties."

I have a copy of this book that I bought at a book sale. Even judging by the standards of the day, its laughable.

I call these places "dump and stir" breweries. I've always thought that they were bad for the industry.

Comment

...just checked out that link. Wow, what a joke!!

"Brew-It-Yourself, which started the home brewing revolution"
                  hmmm- oooohkaaaay??

I have been voted the coolest 10 times in a row
                  Jeff Byrne

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that around 95% of the beer drinking public has no clue as to what constitutes a good or bad beer. 5% have a clue and 1% work in the industry 2% correctly evaluate the actual product and 3% over analyze and completely miss the mark. That is how these "no brewer" places survive and also how some legitimate breweries with terrible beer limp along as well. Most people are clueless as to what constitutes good or bad beer. Prove me wrong!
                    Big Willey
                    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Originally posted by Taps
                      And I would also say a great % do not know what beer is made from....
                      Except Bock Beer, they all know that comes from what's leftover at the bottom of the tank.

Comment

Except Bock Beer, they all know that comes from what's leftover at the bottom of the tank.
                        No, that would require too much (albeit incorrect) knowledge. Im not complaining either, just stating what I see as the truth. Its not necessarily good or bad, but its reality.
                        Big Willey
                        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Interesting...

I agree with the "5% have a clue" being fairly accurate......, since the craft market is 4.9% of the total beer volume...lol

"The craft brewing sales share in 2010 was 4.9% by volume" - BA

Comment

Wow, ignorance is bliss. I cant wait for the day when someone tries to market a "Instant Beer" or a "Mr. Beer" type item that resembles a coffee maker. I could retire and just sit at home with my instant beer packages whipping up some decent homebrew in a matter of minutes! Good Grief!

Comment

S.Foster, you're in luck!

Shop online for home brewing supplies, kits, hardware, recipes and ingredients by WilliamsWarn to enjoy sustainable beer making at home. For the beer loving consumers and hospitality venues, it's easy, high quality and great value.

They may have just created your dream come true!

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X