Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"soft" market entrance in Kansas? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my 2 cents, but if you start off on the wrong foot with your state you will forever be on their shit list.

If it was me, and I were to toss caution to the wind. I would get the license for over 100 bbls and be done with it. Let them prove you did not make a hundred barrels, you can always say, "damn we did not hit our projections." That of coarse must be balanced with what the penalty for not hitting 100. How the L will they ever know? Do you turn in some form of tax to the state that states how many barrels are produced?
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Feedback?

If the main thing you are looking for is feedback on your beers, why don't you enter into BJCP competitions. You don't need a license for that and if your beer needs work, they'll let you know.

Beyond that you could look at contract brewing. Still expensive, but not quite as much as actually building a brewery. If it takes off then you could raise capital to build out your own space with more confidence.
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I am sure I could not possibly convince anyone of our abilities in a few sentences on the Inet but we certainly never do anything half cocked. If we skimp on something, we know it as well as have a plan B and C.

I think what I am mostly looking for is the mandatory requirements for a "minimal" start up as well as any other local periodic inspections, etc that might not be on the table yet. I am so far familiar with the fact that we will need our TTB docs in order, bond, brewers license from the ABC, but still not sure what if any local codes would do with this. Because we do not have any brewery locally that is not a brewpub, I am not sure they know what to do with it yet but I am sure they will find a way to screw us with ridiculous babysitting and requirements

From what I gather from the ABC so far, they would want to do an initial facility inspection but I have no idea what they really want to inspect. As well, they indicate an inspection annually, again no idea what they want to inspect.
        Last edited by fastline; 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Invite for Info

Fastline

If you have a location, invite the planning and health dept. out for a "mark-out" of the brewery. You can show them where equipment and toilets will be located, layout plans etc.. Our town had no Production brewery info on the books, so they started the search under Winery. Guided a tour to the City Manager, Inspector and County Health Inspector. They gave us all the info we needed to start the build-out and application process with confidence. Pay your taxes on time you will not have an "official" visit after the roll-out except for the annuals.

Lance
          Rebel Malting Co.
          Reno, Nevada USA

Comment

Annual Inspections

Is the annual inspection a schedueled thing, or a pop in. And what are they comeing to inpect?

Comment

Originally posted by Che'
              Is the annual inspection a schedueled thing, or a pop in. And what are they comeing to inpect?
              They inform 7 business days in advance, Unless a violation is in question our inspection is for Restroom functions, waste water/effluent monitoring equipment. waste/spent grain.
              Last edited by nohandslance; 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

If you're looking for feedback on your beer before you make a commitment there are lots of ways to do that. For one thing you can do as someone else suggested and enter competitions. There are more and more of those happening all the time all over the country so that shouldn't be tough. The other thing is to simply give your beer away as samples. There are no laws restricting a home brewer from giving away beer so talk to the organizer of your nearest beer festival and work with them to be there to give out free samples. You'll find out real quick if your beer is viable and all it will cost you is the time and ingredients for the beer.

To be honest though, I don't why you're so concerned over $750. That's less than what your first months water bill will be so if you're serious about opening a brewery pay the fee and get on with the process.
                Owner
                Grind Modern Burger
                PostModern Brewers
                Boise, ID

Comment

Originally posted by Brewtopian
                  There are no laws restricting a home brewer from giving away beer
                  There are VERY specific laws at state level, depends on the state

As far as the fed is concern they do permit removal of home brewed beer

Beer made under §25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale.

However this rule gets bent FAR to often, which I wont get into.

Comment

There are no laws restricting a home brewer from giving away beer so talk to the organizer of your nearest beer festival and work with them to be there to give out free samples.
                    Can't speak for all states, but I know more than a few where this won't fly. Sure you can give away homebrew to a friend or acquaintance, but in some states it isn't allowed into any licensed facility (aka a bar), or any event with a temporary permit (like a beer festival). I agree its a good way to get out there and test market, just make sure you know the laws in your specific state. They vary greatly....
                    Scott LaFollette
                    Fifty West Brewing Company
                    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by yap
                      If the main thing you are looking for is feedback on your beers, why don't you enter into BJCP competitions. You don't need a license for that and if your beer needs work, they'll let you know...
                      Yes, they will let you know.
                      You may get usable feedback (and it's a big maybe), but I certainly wouldn't take their assessments (or the guidelines they use) as gospel.

Comment

Don’t get lost in the minutia. What Rick was saying is really all that others have said; if you are serious about opening a brewery or brewpub you should already know if you can produce a viable product and a one-time fee of $750 is tuppence in the grand scheme.

The type of brewery you open and the products you offer should be based on your business plan, not a fee schedule.

Comment

Me, too.

I'm nano, and in Kansas. For the cost of the license, you could increase your capacity/volume, right? I expect, that like me, you'll do this when you aren't at your day job - and I anticipate lots of long night double batches, many fewer weekends away, and producing as much beer as I possibly can. I would rather pay taxes on the volume required than paying a state agency to 'administrate' my license. Good luck!
                          Micah Bicker
                          Owner
                          Crazy Eye Brewing
                          Hiawatha, Kansas

Comment

Working...
                          X