Creative alternatives to the purchase of commercial property for brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative alternatives to the purchase of commercial property for brewery

We are looking to start a small brewery in KS. KS requires specific zoning as well as a signature from the county. We would like to use an agriculture building for this but sounds like it will be a HUGE PITA if it can get done. We would have to file for a conditional use and go through a big process. Commercials already list a micro as a use so buy and go BUT we are not looking to dump a bunch of start up costs in this. As I am sure others already know, the processing and bottling lines will be enough to choke on. We need a shack more or less...

Commercial rates are stupid around here so new and special is not ideal. More like rough on the outside, all business on the inside. We are NOT looking to do a brewpub right now. Strictly a mfgr.

I checked Loopnet for your zip code and found 2 buildings that are both listed for under 38 cents a square foot. One is under 30 cents which is damn close to free. The cheaper one was zoned industrial, which is what you want.

Talk to the city/county clerk and make sure you will be able to do what you want at the location. Aslo add a provision in your lease that you can get out of the lease if you are unable to get a license.

As for the pain in the yazoo paperwork... if you find a way around that, let me know.

Comment

I am sorry, I should have mentioned that if we do have to buy commercial real estate, I would prefer to buy rather than lease. I have dealt with that before and my concern is if/when we need to move plumbing, add or change something, etc, we need to wait for a landlord to come approve, etc.

Being involved in several construction trades, we don't have much issue with DIY anything which is a large advantage at times. Thinking logically, it would take 1000ft minimum just for a start up to house the bright tanks, fork lift, etc and probably in a break in prone area.

This would be much easier if I had a good friend with some extra space in a large facility. Good friend has 20k sf but is too many miles from us to make it work. We have several other businesses so need something a little closer...

Comment

I had permission to make my modifications added to the lease, as well as permission to operate a production brewery and tap room.

I’m not sure why you are balking at leasing space if cost cutting is your goal but, obviously, that is entirely your call.

Best of luck

Comment

There's a guy here in Texas running his nano out of a feed store. Another is doing it out of a restaurant's basement. If you can work something out and you're small enough, that seems like a good idea.

Comment

Oh and by the way, hello ProBrewer! I've been lurking for several months. Clearly, you all have more knowledge to share than I do. For the time being anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X