Grist Hydration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grist Hydration

Why is grist hydration done? What are some standard ways of going about this, and some highly economical ways of doing it?

Thanks so much! Cheeeeers,

Sid
    Firehall Brewery

Do you mean why is grist hydrated on the way into the mash tun (from the auger)? If so, it's because it's ALOT easier to hydrate as it drops into the mash tun than it is to mix dry grain with strike water by hand in the mash tun. I've worked on systems where we did not have a mill and we dumped pre-milled grain into the mash tun through the top manway and then added strike water and then mixed. Usually about 2 bags of grain at a time. It works fine.

But having now that I have a mill, auger and hydrator I definitely prefer this way. It's easier. It's also more consistent and I find it more reliable regarding liquor:grist ratio and mash temperature.

Either way works. But if you're going to have a mill and an auger then you might as well have a hydrator too.

Or are you referring to somthing else?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Getting the entire mash hydrated is paramount, Maris otter malt is notorious for "malt-berging", our set-up is simple copper hot and cold lines with valves on each then tee'd together followed by a inline thermometer then the copper is form via 90's in a loop with drilled holes that the grain falls through. We open the gate on our grist case and let it hit the paddle as it falls through, stirring occasionally. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by South County
        Getting the entire mash hydrated is paramount, Maris otter malt is notorious for "malt-berging", our set-up is simple copper hot and cold lines with valves on each then tee'd together followed by a inline thermometer then the copper is form via 90's in a loop with drilled holes that the grain falls through. We open the gate on our grist case and let it hit the paddle as it falls through, stirring occasionally. Works great.
        What's the highest water temp you run with hydrator?

Do you ever go above 168?

Comment

The strike temperature depends on your liquor to grist ratio, your desired mash rest temp, and the temperature of the grain/grist. In the winter, I've used 170-172 for strike temps to get 151 in the mash.

Comment

depends

Originally posted by UndertowBrewer
            The strike temperature depends on your liquor to grist ratio, your desired mash rest temp, and the temperature of the grain/grist. In the winter, I've used 170-172 for strike temps to get 151 in the mash.

Yeah as stated it depends, every mashtun is different, on average we mash at 151°F for most ales. We preheat the mash tun with 170 degree water that we let run out and reuse for various stuff, then we shut the mash valve and fill with 162°f water to about 4-5 inches above the grates then start mashing in.

Comment

Working...
            X