making beer for a headbrewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making beer for a headbrewer

Currently I'm interning at a Nano-brewery i want to bring in a liquid resume. i want to show the Head brewer that I know what i"m doing. what are some styles of beer that would blow you away as a brewer/head brewer. anything can help. thanks ahead of time.

Do something lighter like a Kolsch or Pilsner. For me this would show off your brewing skills more so than styles that you can mask mistakes with alcohol and/or hops.

Comment

I agree. A lighter style has little to hide behind and will showcase your skills better. I would also stick to traditional ingriedients, a walnut pomegranite wasabi helles isn't going to showcase your skills because there is nothing to compare it to. Also let the brewer taste it on their own time, not with you breathing down their neck looking for props. Good luck and Prost.
      Todd Crowell
      Head Brewer
      Kettlehouse Brewing
      Missoula, MT

Comment

I agree with Kolsch, pils or another lightish brew. If you really want to impress him, brew the same recipe twice and show little/no variation in flavor from batch to batch. This is what you will have to do at work.

Comment

thanks for getting back to me. I was think of making a kolsch a saison and a Belgian triple. the brewery that im dropping these off at is going to be doing a lot of Belgian beers. thanks for everything...

Comment

If you want to impress a head brewer, show him/her how well you understand how to clean things. That is what your first job would be most likely, and that is what the head brewer might most appreciate. Show me a person who knows when to use which scrubbie on which material, which chemical cleaners, and which safety equipment, and you have my full attention.

Comment

A liquid resume is a nice touch, but what Moonlight said! My attention would be garnered as well.

Comment

moonlight.. I love death and taxes I always have to have it when I'm at flavor in Santa Rose. and i love the Patterson I'm good friends with there son JP. the head brewer that I'm brewing the beer for i have work for him before for a really short time before he left the brewery. i have been interning at 3 brewery's now and have about 1500 hours cleaning tanks kegging and bottling anything that needs to get done. the main reason for this is for the partner in the brewery. thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Tytuck777

I know that Moonlight has hit the nail on the head once again (minimizing the value of my post!). Enough fun how is everyone.

Just wanted to suggest to Tytuck777 that, while its important to show your brewing capability, you will mostly or exclusively be making his (the brew-masters) beers, so its important that you frame your interactions around this central theme. Remember that brewing a quality beer is about cleaning, diligence, and attention to detail. If you can do the above and show the ability to handle a crisis situation with a cool clear head, that puts you at the top of my list.

Graydon

Comment

Working...
                  X