Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer growing barley

Hello,
    We are opening a small microbrewery on our farm for local wholesale to bars / restaurants. A nearby farmer has grown barley in the past, and we can have him grow it for us. Questions arising :

- What variety of 2-row barley seed do we have him plant next year?

-Can we use this straight from the field? It should already be dry when he harvests. Regular 2 row isn't kilned, is it? We're thinking that what we've used from the homebrewing supply companies is just straight regular barley.

-We'd need to crush it ourselves, but is there anything else we'd have to do?

Thanks

It first needs to be malted then dryed. it won't be any use to you if it comes straight from the field.

Comment

Re: growing barley

That's what we were wondering.

Darn, because barley goes for under $10 per bushel (about 50 pounds worth) around here direct from farmers.

Okay, we know how much we pay for the malted barley from our homebrewing supply, but we don't have access to the wholesale prices until our brewer's license goes through.

Can anyone tell me the best places for wholesale grains?

We're near Illinois / Wisconsin border, so if there is anyplace close to us let me know!

What prices are you all getting?

Comment

Originally posted by farmerbrewers
        That's what we were wondering.

Darn, because barley goes for under $10 per bushel (about 50 pounds worth) around here direct from farmers.

Okay, we know how much we pay for the malted barley from our homebrewing supply, but we don't have access to the wholesale prices until our brewer's license goes through.

Can anyone tell me the best places for wholesale grains?

We're near Illinois / Wisconsin border, so if there is anyplace close to us let me know!

What prices are you all getting?

Try Cargill Specialty Malts, www.specialtymalts.com

prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Malting

You can google your nearest wholesaler (check distributors on this site). While you may not be able to place orders before you have TTB approval, you can get an idea of what grain costs. Call them up and ask for a catalog, Prices really depends on what you want.

For the farmer's barely, I would not touch that with a 10foot pole for producing beer regularly because the malting process can be so complicated and capital intensive. However, you could do the research on how to malt and then to a special "estate" beer per year with the grains you malt yourself and throw in the hops that you grow yourself (assuming you do). A very cool idea, but not something I would do regularly.

Comment

Re: using farm grown grain

Okay, how about wheat & oats?

Are those altered in any way before brewing (malted?)?

We have access to those as well from local farmer friends.

Thanks!

Comment

Malting at your location

I am near completion on a 'Mobile Malting' unit that I can bring to your location. Utility requirements are 240V single Phase, Water and Compressed Air. Unit will be on a flat bed trailer. Capacity is 500 - 1000 Lbs. The pics are of the main Germination/Kiln. The process is a seperate Steep then transfer to Germination, 7-8 day process. Have multiple screen sizes for all types of grain, Millet, Wheat, Barley. Your location will determine what variety barley you need to grow. Complete Sow, Grow, Grain to Glass is a great concept.
              Let me know if you need additional info. Whats your location?

Lance
              Rebel Malting Co.
              Reno, Nevada USA
              ljergensen@rebelmalting.com
              Attached Files
              Last edited by nohandslance; 09-22-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X