Chiller Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller Water

I have a question about chilling water. Right now we are using ground water to cool our wort for our 3 bbl system. Did a great job but we are generating a large amount of water that we placed into our mt for our next batch. Right now we are talking about water thats been sitting at ~100degrees f for a couple of days and we would like to reuse in our next batch.....however we won't be using for at least 2 more weeks. I am concerned with bacteria build up......do you think i have a concern? I was thinking we could treat it with something.

Thoughts?
    Cheers!
    -Alan

If you are concernd about bacteria i would boil the water a full 24 hours before your brew. that will kill the bacteria and give it time to cool down for your brew the next day.

Comment

water re-use

2 weeks is a long time to hold on to water. Remember that if it's going into the next batch it should go through filter first before going the the HX. I would try an experiment with treating the water with Potassium Metabisulfite. Plate some water and see how long before stuff starts growing.
      We're gonna need a bigger pitch!

Comment

Hi, Alan....I may be missing something here, but you are holding this water for two weeks at 100 degrees before using it? Is this a water conservation issue, and are you maintaining the temperature?

You are going to heat this water to 165-175 degrees to mash with it and have available for sparging, then you are going to boil your wort for an hour or longer. My guess is that that would kill most bacteria.

Comment

Temp

Its a conservation issue as well as a money saving attempt......so is guess we would like to maintain the temp the best we can to eliminate the need to heat from 55 to 170ish. Right now its in the MT and holding at 100....(FYI we cannot heat our MT) so in all likely hood the temp is going to drop over the next several days.

We have kicked the idea around about adding chlorine at a low enough level and then scrub out prior to mashing.....but after reading some posts this has its share of potential pit falls as well.

We are working on a more efficient chilling system where we use little to no water but this is not going to be available for some time and since we have 150 gallons of water available to us now we didn't want to get rid of it.
          Cheers!
          -Alan

Comment

You will most likely spend more money on your efforts to keep it clean than the actual cost of the water itself.

We use our runoff water for cleaning.
            Chris Enegren
            www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
            X