Amarillo Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amarillo Substitute

As a small, new brewery, we cant get any significant qty of Amarillo for next year. What other hop can I use to get that great tangerine citrus effect? I dont want to use Summit because sometimes it adds nastiness like garlic and onion. Any ideas? We use Amarillo w/ Cascade in our APA, FYI.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Andrew Godley
    Parish Brewing Co.
    Broussard, Louisiana

Same issue here, we're looking at citra and athanum, but availability can still an issue. We've done some "teas" with a cascade and progress blend that looks promising.
    Another tough thing is how esters from the fermentation influence what the hops presence is.

Comment

my favorite

Try chinook...it's got the grapefruit character that you would find in the Amarillo. Also it's not proprietary so shortages seemingly aren't an issue. I refuse to use proprietary hops because of these manufactured shortages...just my two cents...
      Cheers
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Just tried a great IPA with Galaxy as a sub for Amarillo. It was really awesome. Don't know the availability of Galaxy, but it's worth looking into.
        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
        Strangeways Brewing
        2277-A Dabney Road
        Richmond, VA 23230
        804-303-4336
        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Amarillo Substitute

I'm facing the same issue with my IPA, I've recently tried out Apollo and Bravo dry hopped in cask and I was really pleased with the results, so I'm going to go with one of them for late additions and dry hopping.

Cheers.

T
          Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
          Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Has anyone tried Zythos yet? My supplier is offering it to replace the 30% of my 2012 Amarillo contract that I'm not going to get.
            Hutch Kugeman
            Head Brewer
            Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Originally posted by kugeman
              Has anyone tried Zythos yet? My supplier is offering it to replace the 30% of my 2012 Amarillo contract that I'm not going to get.
              If it's a contract isn't the supplier required to supply?
              Cheers!
              David R. Pierce

Comment

Zythos is a blend much as Falcon Flight and the old "Centennial-type" are/were. Don't these pose the same issues as the other proprietary hops?
                Cheers!
                David R. Pierce

Comment

They invoked "Force Majeure" which translated from French means "You're screwed".

Apparently this year's harvest of Amarillo was down 30% and Sorachi Ace was down 67% due to weather. So they grower reps are passing that down to the suppliers who are in turn passing it down to the breweries. Now will all breweries be docked 30%? Who knows. But my contract is getting docked.

I'll deal with it because there's no other choice. So, anyone tried Zythos?
                  Hutch Kugeman
                  Head Brewer
                  Hyde Park, NY

Comment

They invoked "Force Majeure" which translated from French means "You're screwed".

Apparently this year's harvest of Amarillo was down 30% and Sorachi Ace was down 67% due to weather. So they grower reps are passing that down to the suppliers who are in turn passing it down to the breweries. Now will all breweries be docked 30%? Who knows. But my contract is getting docked.

I'll deal with it because there's no other choice. So, anyone tried Zythos?
                    So what happens in the long run, five year contracts? Do they make up the 30% when there is a good crop year? Are you still obligated? Sounds like bullshit to me.
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

I think it only applies to this year. But of course it's bullshit. It's the craft beer hop market...it's bullshit by definition.
                      Hutch Kugeman
                      Head Brewer
                      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

We have used zythos as an amarillo sub and are quite happy with it. It's pretty abundant too right now, according to Hop Union. Galaxy is good but I would say its a straight sub for amarillo. Also Galaxy is an Aussie Hop, will be ready in like june but good luck. It's another hop that everyone wants.

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
                          So what happens in the long run, five year contracts? Do they make up the 30% when there is a good crop year? Are you still obligated? Sounds like bullshit to me.
                          Depending who you get them from, they offer subs, you can get the 30% next year or just charged for what you get. The big hop brokers as well as the small are saying the same thing about the crop sucking this year. So I don't think its bs. The one good thing though is AA% are higher this year so you'll have to use less for bittering.

Comment

I brewed a single-hop pale ale with Zythos to try it out. It has a sort-of generic American hop profile but it's definitely not Amarillo. Alot more of the pine/resiny type of flavors & aromas. It's a worthwhile hop blend but I don't think you could just sub it in for Amarillo.
                            Hutch Kugeman
                            Head Brewer
                            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

We tried some Zythos in a Black IPA and also found it very resiny. I was disappointed in the harshness at first. About two weeks after the beer went on tap, it definitely lost the baby fat and I felt the resiny edges were more integrated and the beer improved. I don't think I will be bring more Zythos once we use it up.
                              Seth Gross
                              Head Burger Flipper & Beer Tester
                              Bull City Burger and Brewery
                              Durham, NC 27701
                              www.bullcityburgerandbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X