WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Anyone got anything concrete on this? What's it like, where did it come from. There's a lot of unhelpful chatter on HB forums.

Is there anyone ut there with some firsthand knowledge on this?

Comment

Originally posted by bone yard
      Anyone got anything concrete on this? What's it like, where did it come from. There's a lot of unhelpful chatter on HB forums.
      You probably won't find this response helpful either, and please understand that I'm not trying to be 'flip' here...but why not just brew up a batch with it?

Seems to me that giving it a spin with a known favorite recipe is the best way (maybe even the only way) to get a good and really useful assessment of it.
      Opinions and results are going to vary from user to user anyway.

Comment

So far so good. This yeast flocs so hard you can hear it hit the bottom of the tank. For me, it has eaten through the bulk of the fermentables quite fast but peters out and leaves a slow small bubble finish. Kind of like a Saison strain, but still quite a bit faster than 1056. I am using it on the high end of its temp limit. The flavor profile is noticeably cleaner than the 1056 it comes recommended as a substitute for. Hops are more pronounced and crisper, malt aromatics come through very nicely. All in all I do like it, the biggest impact it has made is in filtration. My filter runs are much less intense, and the beers tasty clean, crisp, and bright. I will keep this updated as the generations pass.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
          So far so good. This yeast flocs so hard you can hear it hit the bottom of the tank. For me, it has eaten through the bulk of the fermentables quite fast but peters out and leaves a slow small bubble finish. Kind of like a Saison strain, but still quite a bit faster than 1056. I am using it on the high end of its temp limit. The flavor profile is noticeably cleaner than the 1056 it comes recommended as a substitute for. Hops are more pronounced and crisper, malt aromatics come through very nicely. All in all I do like it, the biggest impact it has made is in filtration. My filter runs are much less intense, and the beers tasty clean, crisp, and bright. I will keep this updated as the generations pass.
          How does it re-pitch over time? How many batches have you used it on? Any change in flavor profile from batch to batch?

I hear it's the whales vag.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

Only on my third gen, will let you know.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
              Only on my third gen, will let you know.
              Can I score a wee dram?
              Cheers!
              David R. Pierce

Comment

Sure. For you I can get 2nd Gen.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Got some coming in tomorrow and I'll post my thoughts once I get a few gens of it. I usually use WLP001.
                  Big Willey
                  "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Using 090 as our house strain... curious to see how it does after a few generations. Any info BrewingLou?

P.S.
                    Hello from East Kentucky.
                    Mike Slone
                    Co-Founder, Head Brewer
                    23 Brewing Company
                    Instagram: @23brewingco - Facebook.com/23BrewingCompany

"Beer is the drink of men who think, who feel no fear nor fetter. Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better" - Anonymous

Comment

Im up to generation 4 and I think it is still as clean as it was when I started with it. It is a fast fermenter, falls out quick for brite beers, and has a very clean flavor profile.
                      Ben Pugh
                      Meddlesome Brewing Company
                      Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
                      Memphis, Tn

Comment

Took it out 23 gens, then it started flocing a little slower so we renewed our pitch. Most likely due to a chiller failure. But time will tell, resetting the clock to zero.
                        Joel Halbleib
                        Partner / Zymurgist
                        Hive and Barrel Meadery
                        6302 Old La Grange Rd
                        Crestwood, KY
                        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

After quite a few years of use. I would recommend refreshing this yeast around gen 10-15 depending on how it is treated. Final Grav is a wonderful indicator it is getting tired. It starts to drift higher. Cheers
                          Joel Halbleib
                          Partner / Zymurgist
                          Hive and Barrel Meadery
                          6302 Old La Grange Rd
                          Crestwood, KY
                          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I have used this yeast plenty of times. It floccs out pretty well (medium- high) and is very good for west coast IPAs, american ales or pretty much anything you would need a clean finish for. Very low esters and pretty nuetral flavor really lets specialty malt shine. The yeast accenuates hop character pretty well and has an attenuation of about 76-83%. SD Sper yeast is known for very vigorous fermentation. Provide the yeast is pitched at room temp it will usually start to disperse co2 within a matter of hours. High krausen usually will come at 1-2 days and completely drop before day 3-4. For those of you that bottle condition (which most breweries don't) it works very consistently for that. The alcohol tolerance is pretty high 10%-15% but will pretty much die off after that so it is probably a good idea to either transfer to secondary or brite tank after about 2 weeks if shooting for a higher gravity. I particularly like this strain because it cleans up after itself really well, is easy to harvest and last many generations. I have only experienced autolysis once with this strain after having a harvested batch stored, and refrigerated for 8 months without feeding it but after making a good starter it actually recovered very well. I washed it to get rid of the dead cells and repitched to another starter, then used it to ferment another batch with no off flavors at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskusDelph View Post
                              You probably won't find this response helpful either, and please understand that I'm not trying to be 'flip' here...but why not just brew up a batch with it?

Seems to me that giving it a spin with a known favorite recipe is the best way (maybe even the only way) to get a good and really useful assessment of it.
                              Opinions and results are going to vary from user to user anyway.
                              I second this. then do a triangle test to see if a few people can tell the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X