Brewery and Residential Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery and Residential Garage

Is it possible to get state and federal permits to legally sell from brewing in your home garage in the state of New York?

Thank you to all

Not sure about NY law, but the TTB requires the structure to be non-residential so: attached garage is no, detached garage is yes. After that, you have to ask NY.

Kevin
    Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
    Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

You might get away with it if it is not possible to enter the garage from the residence, i.e. no doors between the two, differently keyed locks for each, etc. TTB used to grant variances quite often, but seem to have tightened up in recent years. Be sure to get any promises in writing, preferably notarized, especially before doing any building alteration...

Comment

Check out Blind Bat Brewing. They just moved to the 3BBL system but i believe he was out of his gagrage for a while.

Comment

Newbrewery,

I was able to obtain a Brewer's Notice about a year ago for a nanobrewery. My brewery was attatched to a detached garage, secure and had no common windows or doors. Unfortunately, the whole deal fell apart due to some neighbors who had a change of heart about a brewery in the neighborhood. Got my bond money back and am working on plan b. The TTB semed most concerned about security and "revenue protection". I'm in Texas.

Craig.

Comment

Based on experience, I would recommend checking with local officials first. If this property is not zoned appropriately, or if you can't get the proper variances, then you will be out of luck.
            Steve Sanderson
            RiverWalk Brewing Co.
            Newburyport, MA

Comment

Wow 1600+ views on 5 posts.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I was at a TTB seminar about 2 years ago and this exact question was posed to the "panel". They all kind of looked at each other and smirked and said "we highly recommend against attempting to license a brewery in a residential garage". A bit of a cryptic answer, but I took it to mean that they were cracking down on such a thing. A year later I was at a different event speaking to one of the field guys from TTB and he said they weren't going to allow it anymore.

That being said, it sounds like people are still figuring out how to get the notice through TTB....so the real answer is probably the usual "it depends on your situation."

I agree the local municipality (and/or state) may put an end to it before you ever start so you better get it cleard with them first.

I didn't even notice how many views this thread had. I guess that tells you where a lot of start-up business plans are headed.....
                Scott LaFollette
                Fifty West Brewing Company
                Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

In the old days the words craft or craftsman meant something. It meant that a person honed their skills over time and became proficient in whatever they were doing.

But today the term "craft brewer" is almost an oxymoron. Where is the "craft" in making/selling beer out of one's garage? It seems that any Tom, Dick or Mary with a few bucks to burn and a desire to be Augustus Busch reincarnated can make "craft" beer, no matter how bad it tastes or how unprofessional their "brewery" is.

Comment

The Old Days

Larry,

I recall Sierra Nevada started in a garage, and I would take great offense to my friends there being classified as amateurs. We should cut out much of the nasty attitude and welcome those that make good products.

I believe those making bad products won't survive very long in any case.

Graydon

Comment

The Old Days

Hmmm, according to that logic every mega-brewer beer is better than anything of smaller production size. Seems like brewing several small batches a month could be defined as "honing your craft."

Comment

*Generally,* as long as local zoning laws permit the operation of a manufacturing business on the property, it doesn't matter if the business is located in a stand alone building that used to be called a garage.... or that used to be called a workshop, warehouse, pickle factory or yoga studio. The building's former use is irrelevant to whether or not the premises can be licensed by ABC or permitted by TTB. Zoning is relevant... health department regulatory compliance is relevant... wastewater and other environmental discharge is important... security issues are important... but not former use.
                        John Little | Auburn, Alabama
                        General Counsel, Southern Farmhouse

Comment

Gotta start somewhere Larry. Lighten up.

Comment

Re

Just opened: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Right out of the garage.

Comment

Dude. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X