temp controlled plastic conical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emian
    I wonder what the FDA inspectors will say about stainless glycol lines immersed in your beer if you try this in a commercial setting?
    There is 2 types of glycol, ethylene and Propylene. Ethylene is toxic, the Propylene type is often called Food Grade Glycol which is safe for human consumption (at a reasonable level) and used in cosmetics and skin cream.

So we absolutely need to buy the PG type otherwise a single leak in your FV will make your beer toxic which it something to avoid at all cost

We are building a nano brewery as well. I will make sure my compression fittings are sitting outside the top portion of the plastic conical. In the event of a leak we will see it right away and it doesn't have a chance to run down the line in the FV.

Cheers
    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
    www.CasselBrewery.ca
    Casselman ON Canada

Comment

I'm trying to solve the same problem. I have 3bbl single shell fermenters.

What do you think of welding one of these to the inside of a fermenter.

http://morewinemaking.com/view_produ...45%22_x_315%22

Comment

3 bbl plastic conical cooling

I used a 1/2 inch .035 wall stainless coil flared the fitting outside the fermenter with test batches so far works great. 20-30 gallons crashed to 35 deg running glycol @28. There is only 10 -15 feet of coil submerged due to the level. I only have 32 feet total coil. I will let you know when i ferment the full 3 bbl how i make out.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

Just in our second commercial batch with plastic conicals and stainless steel coils to keep it at the right temp. We have 1x 50ft coil per tank with a temp probe on the side hook on a PID. Once the temp goes too high it close the contactor and starts the pump sitting hooked on an 80gal rain barrel in the walkin cooler.

We are able to easily maintain 62F in a room at 72F.

Pretty amazed at the performance. Sure I am looking forward at all stainless with a real chiller, it will do for now!
          Attached Files
          Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
          www.CasselBrewery.ca
          Casselman ON Canada

Comment

We also are in the process of adding SS coils that pull from a 4 BBL serving tank in the cold room to hold us over while we slowly changing them out with stainless FVs.

Does anyone have a good method for making tank depot style FVs quasi air tight? We have siliconed under where there black rim is screwed into the tank and added a bung with blow off tube to the hole in the center of the lid. However, we are having trouble finding a good way to seal between the lid and the rim.

Thanks,

Justin

Comment

These tanks are made as you could not pressurise them.
              They are design that they can not take pressure.
              You would not want that your 4 BBL tank would raptured.

They are still fine as a fermenters.

Comment

I do not want to pressurize the tank, I just would prefer the co2 and krausen to come out of the blow off tube instead of the rim around the lid.

Comment

I am working on setting up a similar system for my plastics. I didn't see mention of how people clean such a system, any thoughts? Just standard CIP ?
                  Peter Burbridge
                  Owner
                  Bridge Brewing Company
                  www.bridgebeer.ca

Comment

Hey BridgeBrewing!

After transfer I immediately hose it down with 170F water, the most stubborn part is the rim where the krausen was sitting. Yeast is pretty sticky. I get most of it off with a straight stream then I take a very soft brush which I keep STRICTLY for my fermenters.

When I start heating up the HLT on brewing day I run Saniclean in it with a rotating spray ball for an hour.

I have one bulkhead ftting http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=2396 on each fermenter with a tri clamp to NPT male adapter which I had a TC elbow. INside the tank you can then screw in the rotating spray ball which is as well hooked on a tri clamp to NPT male adapter.

Cheers
                    Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                    www.CasselBrewery.ca
                    Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CasselBrewery
                      Hey BridgeBrewing!

After transfer I immediately hose it down with 170F water, the most stubborn part is the rim where the krausen was sitting. Yeast is pretty sticky. I get most of it off with a straight stream then I take a very soft brush which I keep STRICTLY for my fermenters.

When I start heating up the HLT on brewing day I run Saniclean in it with a rotating spray ball for an hour.

I have one bulkhead ftting http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=2396 on each fermenter with a tri clamp to NPT male adapter which I had a TC elbow. INside the tank you can then screw in the rotating spray ball which is as well hooked on a tri clamp to NPT male adapter.

Cheers
                      Thanks and congrats on the Opening! Any chance you could email me some pics of how you set up your fermenters peter_at_bridgebeer.ca ? How did you install the stainless coil and a temperature probe. Nervous about drilling holes in the fermenters

Thanks again!
                      Peter Burbridge
                      Owner
                      Bridge Brewing Company
                      www.bridgebeer.ca

Comment

Thanks Peter! Congrats to you on building your brewery I will get pics to you today and other info such as the coils and also a video on how my system works.
                        Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                        www.CasselBrewery.ca
                        Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CasselBrewery
                          Thanks Peter! Congrats to you on building your brewery I will get pics to you today and other info such as the coils and also a video on how my system works.
                          Thank you very much, can't wait to see your set up!
                          Peter Burbridge
                          Owner
                          Bridge Brewing Company
                          www.bridgebeer.ca

Comment

I use CIP head.

Comment

Morning all!

Here is a video of our setup : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_E6a...ature=youtu.be

Cheers
                              Cheers!

Mario Bourgeois
                              www.CasselBrewery.ca
                              Casselman ON Canada

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this to the forum, Mario! Your video was very helpful.
                                Kevin Shertz
                                Chester River Brewing Company
                                Chestertown, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X