No announcement yet.

temp controlled plastic conical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were planning on using the vent to attach some sort of blowoff/airlock device.

Comment

RipRap,
      Any luck with converting the lid vent for you blow off? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not yet, I was thinking a drilled rubber stopper with a elbow hose barb would do the trick though.

Comment

I want something more permanent/secure. When/if I figure something out I'll share it.

Matt Ehlers
          White Rabbit Brewing Company
          Angier, NC

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap View Post
            Figured I would show you guys what we came up with for temperature controlling our plastic conicals. We had 50' 1/2" OD stainless tube coiled by NY Brew Supply to our specified dimensions. They were great to work with and had our order done quickly and for a very reasonable price. They are certainly nicer looking than if I had attempted to coil them myself. As for the connections to attach them to the lid, we wanted to have something that could easily be taken apart for cleaning without spilling glycol everywhere. We found a compression bulkhead fitting from Colder Products Company that automatically shuts off when it gets disconnected. Everything fit together perfectly and I can't wait to start fermenting in them.
            [ATTACH]23046[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23047[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23048[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23049[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23050[/ATTACH]
            Which parts did you use from Colder? I'd like to replicate your compression fittings!

Comment

Yes Yes , me too!!!

I already have the coils on order but I am having trouble finding the compression quick disconnect fittings from that company. We have the solid tops on our fermenters but, I wonder fi you could fit a bulk head fitting through that cap to connect your blow off tube to.
              Bill Walden
              Oddball Brewing Co.
              Suncook, NH

Comment

Originally posted by mattehlers View Post
                Which parts did you use from Colder? I'd like to replicate your compression fittings!
                I used these fittings:http://www.cpcworldwide.com/productl...4&Product=1377. Morse Fluid had them in stock last time I checked. I just googled the model number to find who had them for sale.

Comment

RipRap, what is your glycol source? Do you have a conventional glycol chiller or use a bucket-in-coldroom setup similar to some of the older post mentions?

Also, as far as a more secure fixture for the blow-off, you can buy normal bulkhead fittings with a 1/2" threaded ID, drill the appropriately sized hole, wrench on the bulkhead fitting and attach your hose barb of choice. We have plastic conical, vented lids and we usually just use a stopper in the vent hole. It works as well as you could expect. Our problem with these crappy plastic conicals, as I'm sure some of you have experienced, has always been pressure. We bought these https://conical-fermenter.com/Lid-Ga...Fermenter.html to go around the bottom ring that screws on to our conicals. I haven't dug through this whole thread, so I'm not sure if someone already mentioned something similar. (of course I'll probably find it as soon as I finish posting this . Even with these gaskets, we have very little luck getting yeast not to explode out of every single weak point on the lid. Through the gasket and everything. PLUS it flows through the blowoff tube and overflows the buckets occasionally...plastics are a great stepping stone and have some very good uses, but man oh man, I can't wait to get rid of all of ours!

Comment

Originally posted by CasselBrewery View Post
                    Yes you can see part of it but the plastic is opaque. I want to see after the krausen has dropped for any signs of infection and what not.

I have the sample valve installed on a 1.5 TC to NPT adapter, not the best since you have to play with it to seal it properly. I will get some bulkhead to seal it better.

I sealed the coils supply and return with aquarium silicone i figured no other way. For the temp probe I simply added a silicone oring and threaded it in the plastic.

For the spray ball I have a 1.5 pipe thread (both ends) bulkhead. I have an elbow with a TC to NPT adapter then another TC to NPT adapter clamped to the spray ball https://www.brewershardware.com/Rota...CIP12F121.html

This is the adapter https://www.brewershardware.com/1-1....-Male-NPT.html

My pleasure to help a new brewery!!! I was helped the same way!
                    Also, I wanted to thank Mario for the great video. Where did you get that gasket made? Anyone else had better luck sealing these things? I mentioned and linked what we use in my last post, but after watching your vid, I am more intrigued by siliconing the bottom ring permanently on the plastic and then using a flat gasket to seal the lid to it. Right now, our gasket fits on the bottom ring around the bottom and top of the ring itself since it is C shaped, but it doesn't seal perfectly all the way around; there's not enough even pressure to get it to shut tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Smlsound View Post
                      RipRap, what is your glycol source? Do you have a conventional glycol chiller or use a bucket-in-coldroom setup similar to some of the older post mentions?
                      We are using a glycol bath that is cooled by a window air conditioner. Basically the cold side of the compressor loop sits in the glycol bath (which is an iglooo cooler) instead of getting air blown over it. Were not open yet but at least one other brewery near us did the same for their jacketed 7 BBL stainless fermenters so we figured it should work well enough for us. Its not a pretty solution but its the right price. It along with the plastic conicals will be replaced as soon as we have the capital, like you said they are stepping stones.

Comment

Originally posted by RipRap View Post
                        We are using a glycol bath that is cooled by a window air conditioner. Basically the cold side of the compressor loop sits in the glycol bath (which is an iglooo cooler) instead of getting air blown over it. Were not open yet but at least one other brewery near us did the same for their jacketed 7 BBL stainless fermenters so we figured it should work well enough for us. Its not a pretty solution but its the right price. It along with the plastic conicals will be replaced as soon as we have the capital, like you said they are stepping stones.
                        RipRap, care to include some photos? I'm really interested in your setup!

Matt Ehlers
                        Angier, NC

Comment

Originally posted by mattehlers View Post
                          RipRap, care to include some photos? I'm really interested in your setup!

Matt Ehlers
                          Angier, NC
                          Second! I googled some pretty cool ones. had no idea how common this is. We definitely resist the giant glycol chiller concept, but it seems to be where we're going. We bought a line chiller for about 2k with two pumps. We already had to split the lines on one side to accommodate two tanks on one pump (very limiting in terms of temp control). But heck, it beats getting a 15k one as an in between step.

I would definitely be interested in how cold this will run and how many tanks it can maintain. If it works at all I will be doing this immediately! I wonder if anyone else has done this and has any results to share? We're thinking about adding a few 20bbl stainless tanks and that seems way too big for a DIY chiller, but hey, I've seen some crazy things!

btw, we have plastic conicals in a temperature controlled cellar. It works perfectly for most of our ales, but when you really want consistency out of a Belgian strain...not so good! This thread is awesome! We may convert our plastics!

Comment

Originally posted by Smlsound View Post
                            Second! I googled some pretty cool ones. had no idea how common this is. We definitely resist the giant glycol chiller concept, but it seems to be where we're going. We bought a line chiller for about 2k with two pumps. We already had to split the lines on one side to accommodate two tanks on one pump (very limiting in terms of temp control). But heck, it beats getting a 15k one as an in between step.

I would definitely be interested in how cold this will run and how many tanks it can maintain. If it works at all I will be doing this immediately! I wonder if anyone else has done this and has any results to share? We're thinking about adding a few 20bbl stainless tanks and that seems way too big for a DIY chiller, but hey, I've seen some crazy things!

btw, we have plastic conicals in a temperature controlled cellar. It works perfectly for most of our ales, but when you really want consistency out of a Belgian strain...not so good! This thread is awesome! We may convert our plastics!
                            Sure Ill take some pictures next time I get a chance. I believe Junkyard on here did the same thing which is where I got the idea from. Its also very common in the computer overclocking world to cool computer chips as well as people who grow a cousin of the hop plant in their closet to cool all the lights they need. The other brewery by me, I believe, has 3 7 BBL stainless tanks on each 5,000 BTU AC unit.

Comment

Heres some pictures. This is just running one fermenter right now, hence the single pump.

Comment

Nice! How much do you figure it will handle in terms of fermenters active/crashing/cold?

Comment

Working...
                                X