Installing sloped floors - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing sloped floors - advice?

We're looking at installing sloped floors in our brewing area and cellar area. We're working with an architect who is cost estimating it out. The sloped floors are coming in way more than we expected - ~$30,000 just for 1600 ft of concrete work. The floor coating is another $9000 and the trench drain is probably another $7-8k. The floors are being installed in an area that has brand new, reinforced concrete. They're planning to dig up the existing floor and then re-lay the entire area.

Does anyone have experience in having similar work done? What kind of price did you pay per square foot? Has anyone sloped the floors by floating concrete on top of an existing floor? Is that a cheaper way to go? Any advice?

Originally posted by Cascadia
    We're looking at installing sloped floors in our brewing area and cellar area. We're working with an architect who is cost estimating it out. The sloped floors are coming in way more than we expected - ~$30,000 just for 1600 ft of concrete work. The floor coating is another $9000 and the trench drain is probably another $7-8k. The floors are being installed in an area that has brand new, reinforced concrete. They're planning to dig up the existing floor and then re-lay the entire area.

Does anyone have experience in having similar work done? What kind of price did you pay per square foot? Has anyone sloped the floors by floating concrete on top of an existing floor? Is that a cheaper way to go? Any advice?
    Been living outside the US for a few years and have forgotten how insane prices are there. I will be paying $35 per sq meter for my reinforced 6 inch sloped concrete floors including the drains. That comes out to $3.27 per sq ft or $5200 for a floor of your size. I bet the coating probably adds another $1000.

Comment

Those figures seem high to me. How much square footage are we talking about? Rule of thumb.....get a second quote.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

$30,000 just for 1600 ft of concrete work. The floor coating is another $9000 and the trench drain is probably another $7-8k.

This is super expensive. I just paid $2100 to have over 4,000 sqft sealed professionally.
        Andrew Godley
        Parish Brewing Co.
        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

It's for 1600 s.f. of floor space. We're in the phase of negotiating the lease and tenant improvements, so these are estimates from our architect, not actual bids. The overall estimate for the work puts us above our tenant improvement budget and I'm wondering if it the estimates are realistic.

Comment

Why remove the existing floor?
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
              Why remove the existing floor?
              I'm wondering that as well. We moved into our building (originally a racquet ball court), ripped up the wood floor and found a pristine concrete floor. We poured a sloped concrete floor complete with a room-length sloped trench drain. Saw no need to remove the existing (fully-cured!) concrete floor.
              Also, back in my commercial remodel days, the "quotes/estimates" from the architects were always much higher than what the contractors gave.
              ....my two cents.

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

The estimate for removing the exiting floor is $1600, which is the most cost effective part of the whole budget they provided. That gives you a blank canvas for laying the floors. I was thinking that floating a sloped layer on top of the exiting floor might be cheaper, but after running some numbers I don't think the material costs are that significantly different.

We're looking at about 30 cubic yards of concrete for a 6 inch slab. At $75 per cubic yard, material costs should be around $2250 for the concrete, plus I'm guessing less than $1000 for rebar. So I'm trying to figure out where the other $27,000 is going... Ugh.

Comment

Just saying our whole brewery floor is poured on old concrete flooring with no problems for a decade and a half.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X