Thread: O2 Barrier vs Scavenger Crowns

O2 Barrier vs Scavenger Crowns

Looking for some knowledge here from the community. I know the Barrier crowns prevent O2 ingress over time. The Scavenger, well, scavenges O2 in the headspace and any that sneaks in from the outside using a sulfite/ascorbate combo. I have heard that there is concern about the scavenger cap also absorbing some aroma or flavor compounds from the beer.

Anyone ever heard of this or have any experience they can share? I want to order a few hundred thousand crowns in a few weeks and have to choose. I was assuming the scavenger would be better for the quality of our beer during storage, but now I'm not so sure I know anything - as seems to be the norm in this biz .

Thanks for any help or info to make my decision more clear. Cheers. Andrew

O2 scavenger versus barrier

Hi,

In reply to this post, you are right about the scavenger taking away some of the taste of the beer. However this is much denied by the suppliers and nothing in the specs point to this. It remains a purely subjective assumption. It can be true or not.

The scavenger takes out the remainder of the oxygene when the bottle is capped. When saurated it looses its purpose and becomes a normal pvc (hopefully pvc free!) liner. It extends your shelflife by a few months.

The barrier has a lower o2 transmission and will also extend your shelflife by a few months. The end result is the same as it were. I am personnally a bigger fan of barrier as it has the best sealing properties.

I can send you data on this if you want!

Frank

But the use of either of these does not mean you can abuse the beer and ignore good oxygen control all the way through to capping. They only work for minute amounts of oxygen - the icing on the cake so to speak
    dick

Just to second Dick Murton's point above:

There is nothing better to control oxidised flavour defects than good oxygen control during the process.